HostGator.com

So far we have had our website up for almost a week.

We bought the hatchling plan for $8.95 a month (on sale for $7.16 for the first month).

I’ve had several servers before, but this is by far my favorite for the price.

Unlimited space, transfer, mysql, email, ftp, etc.

It was available and set up within 5 minutes of purchasing, which was amazing compared to the 24 hours it took before on my last host :frowning:

For the price, I don’t think I could ask for much more out of my host!

i buy at hostgator and must scan credit card to verifed, @@.

Do you recomand me Hostgator if my site is for romanian people?

I have used several hosts in the past and hostgator is the best. best value, best service, very reliable. I had a problem with my website and their tech support was able to fix their problem in a few minutes. never really had any problems with them. good luck.

If it’s a typical site, yes. The hosting is quite stable and the servers are fast (in my experience), so for web browsing purposes their hosting will be good. If you’re using a .ro domain, you don’t have to worry about SEO geotargetting issues either: Geotargeting - Webmaster Tools Help

If you’re offering big files for download, HG’s shared hosting is not the best choice. I’ve had slow transfer speed for that (well under 100KB/sec). You should probably go for European based hosting in that case anyway.

Unlimited space, transfer, mysql, email, ftp, etc.

In any way you need to be aware that unlimited space is not possible at all. And that is something you will never get.
If you are working on web application that is not good idea to ask your web host about limits for CPU or RAM.

No doubt about that hostgator is one the best hosting services out there, their, uptime, customer and technical support is a lot better then other hosting companies. The only concern most the buyers have is price, as hostgator multisite plan is little expensive as compare to the other cheap web hosting providers, but the point to be noted is if they are charging more then undoubtedly they are offering better services as well.

Hostgator host is well managed. We have a website hosted on hostgator. However, there is a rider. If you want a dedicated IP, it very difficult to get one. We were told that unless we buy some certificate/SSL, they would not be able to provide a dedicated IP. It (dedi IP) is very expensive.

Here’s the question: what is the server’s performance like?

It is impossible to offer “unlimited” disk space and data transfer. Companies like this are oversellers. Go Daddy is one of these companies and I know that hosting with them can be a nightmare, because it was when I was there. The server over time got slower and slower. It was taking 20 or more seconds to generate a forum page.

I have a webhost now that I love. I have no intention of leaving them. But they do cost a little more than Host Gator. So if Host Gator’s servers are reasonably fast–and I’m not talking download speed, but the time it takes to generate a page and send it to the browser–I might consider moving one of my sites to them as I have been planning for a long time to offer a gallery where people can upload images and stuff. I might be willing to sacrifice a little server performance to save on data transfer. And that is if Host Gator’s server’s aren’t clogged with waiting requests.

Does anybody have any examples of sites like Wordpress that are hosted on Host Gator? Wordpress is big and bloated. The hosting company I have now loads Wordpress lightning fast. I’d like to see what Host Gator is like.

Do Americans have to do this, too? I would not be happy about scanning my credit card and sending it off to who knows where.

If you want a dedicated IP, it very difficult to get one. We were told that unless we buy some certificate/SSL, they would not be able to provide a dedicated IP.

This is a policy that most hosts apply, because most data centers ask for a technical reason why a dedicated IP is necessary before issuing one. A cost of about $2 per IP is also quite common.

Do Americans have to do this, too? I would not be happy about scanning my credit card and sending it off to who knows where.

If you are US based (or your card is from there), but order while you’re visiting Europe, you’ll likely be asked to verify your order. This is often true, regardless of the provider you choose. The host is protecting itself from potential fraud, and protecting its servers from dubious users at the same time.

Recently Hostgator opened their Indian office and new site Hostgator.in. I signed up immediately so far so good.

I had a site with host gator, not bad service but i have noticed that the site at times had slow response. I contacted the support team and they said that my database had to be optimized. I recently moved my site to fatcow and i no longer have the issues, even tho my database was not “optimized”.

I think the customer support from hostgator is excellent hardly ever have to wait long for a response ive only been with them for a few months but so far im really pleased with them.

I am not satisfied with hostgator. I have baught a unlimited package from hostgator. after that when i used about 2 GB bandwidth they baned my site and terminate my hosting account without any notification. I have lost my every data. They are just a …

It’s unusual, as i have hosting account with them and i uses 10-12 GB bandwidth every month and no problem.

I’ve been working on different hosting and I mean a lot of them… Hostgator is one of the top! A lot of the other ones are feature-rich but sometime very slow or a lot of downtime etc… I highly recommend hostgator!!!

What was your site about? Maybe it had something on it that went against HostGator’s terms and conditions?

My site was a video sharing site… I know it takes a huge mysql query and bandwidth.but i took the unlimited hosting because i was needed the heaby resource… but they unable to make be happy.

Unlimited will always be fair-use policy, and according to them, streaming video isn’t fair use. Hosting a video site will (depending on the amount of bandwidth used) use a lot of resources, so shared hosting isn’t really an option.

They should at least give you your files back, have you asked them about that?