Hover effect on a tablet (i.e. iPad)?

I’m the processing of redesigning a website that uses hover effect on a button (like button images changes when you put your mouse over it and when you click it, it goes to a different page).

Now that works fine if you’re on a a desktop/laptop computer. But on a tablet, the hover/onmouseover effect does not work. On a tablet, when clicking the button image, it changes briefly and then immediately goes to a new page.

What are methods and techniques where a website can detect if a visitor comes from a tablet or not? Then would it be possible to switch to a tablet CS

Probably a better approach i to make sure your top level links are actual links that allow people to navigate your site without the dropdown. A site that can only be navigated via dropdown links may not be properly navigable on a touch screen, so far as I know.

We do have hover effect event listener in iPad native iOS library. However same can be achieved using the HTML and javascript but may be subject to apple rejection if we use it in many place. You can ask more details of the project to suggest better.
The second option is to make the web app compatible for iPad.

Well you certainly could use a different stylesheet for tablets, typically by using media queries. However, I’m not sure I follow what you want to happen to the hover effect on a tablet. There’s not much point in a hover because…well, people just don’t hover on a tablet.