How Can I send html emails from a hotmail account?

Hi Guys,
This is a fairly silly question I think, but I’ve never tried it before and I’m about to apply for an email marketing job, so I want to send my cv through in fancy html to show them I know what I’m talking about.

The thing is, I’ve never actually tried to send out an html email from hotmail, typing or copying and pasting the code from dreamweaver just sends the raw code.

Is it even possible, as I can’t find an option for it.

Is there anything I should know about what works and what doesn’t for your average html email? I hear that in terms of layout it’s better to use tables rather than divs, is this true?

regards
steve

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/code-html-email-newsletters should help you when it comes to coding it. For sending I would use a script and just add your hotmail address as from address. If you have outlook I know you can include .html files in your body text there and send it as a html-mail. Not tried any other mail clients for this but I’m sure there are similar options there as well.

Hope it helps.

it doesn’t sound like you do know what you’re talking about, if you need to ask these sorts of questions :confused:

HTML email is a big field, and writing them can be somewhat of an art form, due to so many e-mail clients treating HTML so very differently. A good read on what you can/can’t do in HTML email can be found here: http://www.email-standards.org/

Hi,
I was talking about sending html emails via HOTMAIL specifically.
I know how to send html emails from something like thunderbird, but I wanted to email them from my personal hotmail account rather than the account of one of my websites.

I’ve only really laid out html emails in table form, I was just asking if it was the right thing to do as apposed to using divs.

So I do know what I’m talking about, but in terms of sending html emails FROM a hotmail account I do not.

Do you know how to send html emails from a hotmail account, as you didn’t mention anything about it in your post?

Are you copy pasting in the design view?

Ah my bad… a couple of years back it was possible to add free hotmail accounts to Outlook. But they’ve removed that feature now it seems.
The thing is that with hotmail you only have their wysiwyg-editor to create your html-mails with. I presume that you have created a little more advanced html-mail than can be reproduced in that interface.
So your easiest option would be to just setup a simple mail script that you use to send your html-mails and just add your something@hotmail.com address as a sender.

Hope this clarifies a little.

Also i dont think its a big deal to use Tables in emails, i doubt anyone would care as long as it shows up right,
your email content isnt going to be spidered by SE’s.

No I’m not copying and pasting in design view :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m doing it in code view.

If in hotmail I click “show plain view” and copy/paste in html code, it looks like it just strips out the tags when it’s received.

I’m not really trying to do anything fancy, just a table with 2 columns with dummy text in each and a row above it with some dummy text, it looks like it just displays what you would see if you were looking in code view with all the tags removed.

However if I send the same code through thunderbird for example, everything appears exactly as intended because I can specify that it’s an html email.

So basically you’re saying that unless I create some special script to handle it, I can create html emails to send from hotmail accounts?

It’s not really a big deal as I COULD send it from one of my website addresses, and generally I would, but it would be nice to know if it was possible in-case I ever needed to :slight_smile:

You can send html mails from hotmail but afaik you cannot paste your own code into hotmail and send it as a html mail.

I used to use a program called Hotmail Popper to connect my hotmail account to outlook. Have a look at http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/E-mail/Mail-Utilities/Hotmail-Popper.shtml if this is what you’re looking for.

If I’ve understood you correctly, you want to switch the document type to HTML rather than plain text so that it shows correctly. i.e. like adding

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

I’m not aware of a way of doing this in Hotmail I’m afraid but let us know if you find anything.