How can I slice a document without having thounds div?

When I slice a document in photoshop I get a div for every slice instead I would like to have divs, class, p and other tags that will create a semantic code.

Thanks.

I cringe whenever I hear the word ‘slice’ in relation to web design. It sounds too much like the table days to me, even if it can be adapted to modern web design.

It’s better to think of a web page primarily as HTML. That is, headings, paragraphs, lists, images and links etc. Plain, vanilla HTML. Then you bring in a bit of CSS. Create columns and other sections. Then add color, maybe some nice fonts, background images etc.

The slice approach, on the other hand, seems an artificial way to transfer print design—a static image—to the web, which is not really very practical. It makes it sound like you are not really adapting to the web.

What are you actually slicing? What components are you working with?

I am slicing a web design image with an an unordered list on top a side bar and some add to the right. I think I will have to go and use a little bit of my brain. Even though it is hard to integrate a photoshop design using plain vanilla css and html, at least for those who are not that practical like me.

Thanks though.

J.

If the image is a background image (which it usually is when people talk about slicing), your best bet is to set it as a background image on a parent element (eg a wrapper <div> if nothing else is suitable).

co.ador did you see deathshadow’s rewrite example in your old thread?

His code and mine are examples of things you would do to avoid slicing.