How can I speed up the site?

[ot]

Nice to find another Kung Fu Panda fan. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, my PHP skills donā€™t (yet) extend a great deal further than the ability to insert PHP tags in posts. :lol: Iā€™m working on them, but Iā€™m afraid youā€™ll need to wait for a real PHP master. :)[/ot]

Thatā€™s pity, TechnoBear! One week later I still didnt figure out my problem in php file and no responses on the concerned topic. :frowning: Trying to figure out it myself but no luckā€¦
Iā€™m a fan of marsupials too :wink:

[ot]

Excellent. :lol: There are koalas (and pandas) at Edinburgh zoo and I have a huge number of very cute pictures from our recent visit, one of which I use as my desktop wallpaper. I can see why people think koalas are bears.[/ot]

People feel more comfortable with their own prejudice. In tech communities and whether I contact techsupport via chat they took me for a guy ā€œhey, dudeā€ ā€œpiece, manā€ā€¦
pffā€¦ Everytime I want to say them that Iā€™m wearing stilettos and a dress size 4 that would take their breath away, but finallyā€¦whatever I say ā€œcheers, dudeā€, ā€œthanks, manā€
They would feel more comfortable thinking Iā€™m dude wearing sneakers and Darth Vader t-shirt :slight_smile:

I make the guys from asmallorange transfer for me, I dont know how they set permalinks but I mentioned the problem and they fix it.

Give this a read:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Moving a website is not that hard, but it can be a little scary if you are not used to it. It is just files on a server that can be downloaded using FTP or, if you have a decent control panel, compressed into one archive and downloaded to your computer then re-uploaded to another server. phpMyAdmin is the database tool frequently used to export databases. Same thing, export your databases, download them to your computer, then upload them to the new server.

Itā€™s a pretty easy process. The trouble spots come in creating a new database(s) at the new host and updating the Wordpress config file if the database user name or password changes. Another complication can arise with plugins as some of them may store file paths or URLs in the database that may change when moving to another server.

Itā€™s very scary for me because itā€™s a area I dont control 100% and I still have a weak knowledge of MySQL and php to fix databases when they give errors. This weekend together with asmallorange we moved 6 websites to their server. And 1 website get stuck, it was not in primary domain but in subfolder (for the client eyes). They dont know what happend but database was not comminicating with site and all permalinks were broken and I was not able to access admin area. A mess. It took them the whole day to fix, test, fix, test and fix finally the website. Great team I must admin. But if I was on my own, I would never figure it out on my own.

I would advise you not to delete anything from your old host until you are set up at your new host. Do not delete any files or databases. Then see this:

https://help.asmallorange.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/288/0/moving-your-wordpress-site-to-a-small-orange

I think your old host was using cPanel, right? If you deleted anything from your old host, you will not be able to take advantage of that. However, it is important for you to learn how to do this so you should probably take a stab at doing it yourself (if you are willing).

Yes, they moved the whole cPanel this weekend for me, I got some unpleasant hiccups (still fixing them) but their team do their best. Iā€™m super happy with their service.

How many sites do you have to move? Because you are using plugins which may (or may not) store file path information in the database that can change on a new server. So I would advise to move each site one-by-one. And before you prepare to move the site from your old host, disable all plugins first, then download the files and export the database. You can re-enable plugins when you get everything uploaded and imported at the new host.

You may also want to take a look at this Wordpress migration plugin. I have never used it, but the reviews of it are all positive.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/

I have to move websites more often Iā€™d like to, I prefer to work directly on the site to keep permalinks (specially for multilingual sites). I know itā€™s not ideal but I dont sweat nervously fixing permalinks after site move.
I looked at the plugin, it looks very reliable, Iā€™ll definitely try it. I bought once a license for 10 sites for Backup Buddy, have not yet use it, the first website I want to move, reject the Backup Buddy and I didnt have time to figure out why the plugin was not working and as the site was scheduled to be online on other domain in over a night had to move site manually :frowning:

To use that, it looks like you: install it at old host and download an archive of your Wordpress site. Then on your new host, you would do a fresh install of Wordpress, install that plugin into your fresh install, then run the plugin to import the archive of your old site. It may be worth a few minutes for you to look at it.

Always keep backup copies of your websites. When you get everything set up at your new host, spend three or four minutes making backups of everything. Compress your public_html folder using the cPanel File Manager and then go into phpMyAdmin to export all your databases (you should be able to do this all at one time), and download them to your computer. Then also make another copy of that backup copy.

Years ago I lost many hours of work when my hard drive failed. Now I make lots of backups. For my most critical stuff, I have the copy on the web server, the copy on the hard drive, and copies on two thumb drives and two external hard drives. :slight_smile:

This was the second reason why I bought BackupBuddy, to schedule automatic full updates of the websites I manage because I forget to do it all the time! Thank you for your advice!
I guess you are not a big fan of the plugins for such things?
By the way, the speed :slight_smile: http://publicdifferent.com/server_load.php Now the label is ready for releases :wink:

[ot]

Iā€™ve always assumed people on the forums here think Iā€™m male because they just canā€™t tell under all this furā€¦:shifty: Fortunately, it doesnā€™t bother me at all.

But weā€™ve had more than one man stop us in the street and say to my husband ā€œyou know about computers, donā€™t you?ā€ To which he replies, ā€œno, but you could ask my wifeā€, whereupon they proceed to address their problem to my husband, who keeps turning to me for an answer and they still donā€™t get it. computers=technical and technical=manā€™s job :rolleyes:[/ot]

I would not call it prejudice. Itā€™s just the law of averages. And ā€œdudeā€ and ā€œmanā€ are slang terms for person here in America and seem to have become almost genderless. I hear women refer to other females as ā€œguysā€ and say things like ā€œhey, manā€ to other females.

As for what Technobear says above, I remember finding out a few years ago that Hawk was female. I donā€™t really think of posters on forums as having a gender, but I suppose I would naturally assume most are male. I will take helpful information from wherever I can get it regardless of the gender of the person supplying it.

Thatā€™s good. Your websites load at an acceptable speed now. I remember waiting over 40 seconds for a page load a few weeks ago. They are a very good hosting company. Years later, I still consider myself lucky to have found them.

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. Today I have to finish doing my tax return. Not a simple process at all. :mad:

I think Iā€™m more sensitive to this because I come from gender-important and multi-language country. In Belgium there 3 national languages: Dutch, French and German and you are sort of suppose to speak them all, plus English as a standard to navigate in international world, and my mother tongue is Russian, and in university I took Japanese as 3d language. My housekeeper is Polish with whom I do my best to understand each other because she doesnt speak other languages except her own:)

I love English because itā€™s so fluid and simple, and let you go straight to the point without valsing around a subject. In French, German or Russian itā€™s much more complicated. That is why I automatically pay attention to all this linguistic nuances.

And culture point. Itā€™s normal here Western Europe when a guy in a restaurant propose to split the bill to his girlfriend. In Russia, you could try to do this, and you will never see the girl again. And itā€™s not about money, itā€™s like if you propose to hunt the mammoth together - itā€™s not her role! But if your cavern is devastated by the hurricane, you can count on her to crush at her place! :wink:

Thatā€™s good. Your websites load at an acceptable speed now. I remember waiting over 40 seconds for a page load a few weeks ago. They are a very good hosting company. Years later, I still consider myself lucky to have found them.

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. Today I have to finish doing my tax return. Not a simple process at all. :mad:

Hope your tax return went well!

Iā€™m a still plugin fan, it helps me in my knowledge handicap.

You can check page speed with problems and instructions by using this Google tool : https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/