How Do I Display the ISP Hostname of the Visitor?

The message you received either means it could not resolve the name for the IP or could not even contact the nameserver (I guess its the latter). It will definitely work in a “real” environment.

Well I hope it does work…
Now what is the final piece of code that I should put in?
I have so much commented code… that I’m not sure what should I leave on.

gethostbyaddr($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);

will return a string with the hostname (as long as it can be resolved, otherwise it returns the given IP address).

I see, I’l put that in. Thank you!
Jas! What do you think?

tell you what, i don’t even know 50% of what drzoid knows and i am serious :agree:.
now, like he said it will work in a real environment then if you have a site hosted on a real server then try uploading this test.php (or whatever) on that and then test it

Well I thought that my server is a real one… lol
The sole purpose that computer is used for is to server webpages, and nothing else…
I use Apache webserver… hmmm… well I still think is a real server :slight_smile:

ofcourse you are using apache and your computer is serving pages.
real environment mean your computer is directly connected to internet not via network.

Many machines pretend to be real ones, but sooner or later the evil truth is revealed :D.

Seriously, the problem is, your server could not resolve the IP address of your client machine. This happens, because the nameserver your server is using does not know the name behind the IP address of your client machine.

Confusing… don’t all the companies that have webservers have an internal network?
Same here I have a router that helps me connect more than one computer to the internet, among those is the webserver as well. Maybe I don’t get the concept…

By the way, notice the quotes :slight_smile:

Hmmm, I think I understand… but I’m fuzzy… anyway Thank You for the explanation…
if this works now, well I gues I have all the basic info that I need.
Maybe you could go to my website, on the Admin Page there is where the script should be, and tell me what you see in white leters, IP or Hostname?

Sorry, I am only getting an IP address and a parse error

Parse error: parse error, unexpected ‘>’ in *************************** on line ******

Somehow I think your webserver does not have its nameserver properly set up.

i see my IP, User-Agent (both in RED)

AND GUESS WHAT
my host info(WHITE) which you really wanted to know.

it is working YEY

:xeye: ooooohhh below :blush:

yeah, then its working … oh my, I guess its too late

offtopic: i click the ADMIN LOGIN button and it is asking me a password. why just password and why not any username or something like that

just thought to raise the point :smiley:

Yes Drzoid I made a mistache and realized that right away and fixed it.
One favour… please delete the error name, I don’t want some peoplpe to see that and try bring down my webserver somehow, some people are hackers, you know what I mean… and there is the full path to that page, and the folder where all my pages reside.

Thank you!!

Tahnk you Jas! nice to know it is working, I barelly wait and see one of these days, tomorrow I’ll go to one of my friends to see that too…

Jas. on that page you can use many passwords… or should I say I can use many passwords, depends on what I want to access…

Done

… and those other pages that you access from there on require full username and password, because I have many levels of password protection, with different usernames/passwords