How do I find the right marketing/design professional?

Hello all-

For a few months now, I’ve been wanting to build a new website for my little consulting practice and replace the hold page that’s been there for a few year. I want some help with this, however, and I can’t seem to find the right person/firm to work with to get this project going.

In the past, I’ve built and grown a services company with an emphasis on outsourcing as well as built and sold a successful affiliate network. My old website was sort of easy to plan - I sold web application services along the lines of Joomla, wordpress, etc. I understood my target market well and it was the basic boutique shop website.

Over the last 5 or so years I’ve sold off all those business interests and spend a long time doing software consulting for the public sector. I enjoyed that but now I want to start taking more web jobs, outsourcing jobs, etc.

I have been keeping my eyes open for a marketing/design professional that could help me do this, but it’s tough because I’m having a hard time refining exactly what the tone and message of the site should be. I do know that I want to stay independent (just me), I know that I want to start using my old company name/logo again, and I have some ideas and examples about the kind of graphic work I’d like to use.

The ideal, perfect world vendor could do the following:

1. Interview me, ask me questions, questionnaire, and other such collaborative consulting to help me identify and refine what my website message will be, how the service(s) are described, and the general marketing message.

2. Write all the copy/content for the website. I envision this only being 4-6 pages, really.

3. Design it

I will eventually put it into wordpress, probably, but that part is easy enough to handle on my end. It would be great if there was a single vendor who would do all of this.

The hardest, most demanding skill I think will be #1 - I want a pretty experienced marketing professional to work with me to help create a message that will serve as the starting point/foundation for the copy/design. That said, I don’t think this is going to be hundreds of hours of consulting - a skilled pro could get my sorted out in some phone calls and emails, I think.

But HOW to find this kind of vendor? I see great designers, but without marketing skills. I see marketers, but they are primarily concerned with things like SEO and conversion, which isn’t important to me right now. I see pro branding experts, but they are working with big companies rather than indie consultants like me.

Where are you, perfect vendor?
Anyone have any tips on how to find that ‘right fit’ vendor?

thanks!! Dave