How do I get rid of dead space

How do I close the gap between the paragraph ending with “mix” and the table that follows:

<center>KEYWORDS</center>

<p>I know most all of you have used Google to research and find new place to detect. It is without a doubt the best search engine out there. Not sure how you have used it in the past
but I am guessing you pretty much did what I do and that is type in the name of my town, county or state and then add keywords like schools, churches, parks, history, etc…</p>

<p>Let me suggest a few more keywords that you might try. I can’t promise they will work for you but they have provided me with a lot of information and leads to work on. If and when you give
them a try, have a thesaurus or synonym finder on hand and see what substitutes you might also throw in the mix.</p>

<table cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“30”>
<tr>

<td>

<ul>

<li>Old Newspapers</li>
<li>Early Maps</li>
<li>Memoirs</li>
<li>Journals</li>
<li>Traditions</li>
<li>Outlaws</li>
<li>Robberies</li>
<li>Legends</li>
<li>Early</li>
<li>Bygone</li>
</td>

<br>
<td>

Try changing the table cell spacing value to one or zero.
hoops, just reread the question…
Try floating the table left.

Better still try this:

<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<title>title</title>
</head>
<body>

<h3 style="text-align:center">KEYWORDS</h3>

<p>
I know most all of you have used Google to research and find new place to detect. It is without a doubt the best search engine out there. Not sure how you have used it in the past but I am guessing you pretty much did what I do and that is type in the name of my town, county or state and then add keywords like schools, churches, parks, history, etc..
</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0; background-color:#ff9">
Let me suggest a few more keywords that you might try. I can&#8217;t promise they will work for you but they have provided me with a lot of information and leads to work on. If and when you give them a try, have a thesaurus or synonym finder on hand and see what substitutes you might also throw in the mix.
</p>

<table style="background-color:#9ff; width:30em">
<tr>
  <td>
    <ul style="margin-top:0">
	<li>Old Newspapers</li>
	<li>Early Maps</li>
	<li>Memoirs</li>
	<li>Journals</li>
	<li>Traditions</li>
	<li>Outlaws</li>
	<li>Robberies</li>
	<li>Legends</li>
	<li>Early</li>
	<li>Bygone</li>
    </ul>
 </td>
</tr>
</table>

</body>
</html>

John, thank you so much for taking the time to fix this…appreciate it.

No problem Barnum, I am glad I was able to help.