How do I put Post signature?

I know that old sitepoint forum supported post signature but I don’t think it’s supported w/ this new one. Am I right?

Correct.

That kind of sux… so I wanted to promote IT bloggers… hm… I’m hoping they are adding this feature back.

As Ryan says, you’re right.

You can always check the FAQs for these things.

No signatures. We have a one warning rule for fake signatures. Do it twice and you’re out.

Yup, that’s right. No signatures. Some of you will feel pretty annoyed about that, and I get that. For those of you that are legitimately part of this community to participate in positive ways, it may feel like you’re being punished for the misbehaviour of others. I’m sorry about that. The upside of this is that you’ll now be taking part in a community where everyone is legitimately here to participate in positive ways. You won’t have to sift through the dirt to find the gold. You’ll still be able to customise your profile page to display a link to your site.

1 Like

You can use your Profile Background and User Card Background to promote it though.

Any particular reason? Asking out of curiosity

I don’t like signatures because I think it’s just visual clutter, but don’t expect them to be back… Discourse takes an extreme stance against visual clutter. From what I understand, SitePoint has actually themed/modded/customized it to be less extreme.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go that far :wink: We simply modded a wider topic view, beyond that, what you see is stock Discourse (well, we modded the categories listing too).

We definitely have zero plans to bring back signatures.

I was thinking the opacity of some of the icons that someone said were modded. And a couple other minor things that I can’t remember.

Yes - ours are darker than the basic Discourse, and are always visible. On “standard” Discourse, they darken as you roll over the post. Likewise the “Reply as linked Topic” link is only visible on mouseover on standard Discourse. (Both accessibility issues, IMHO.)

2 Likes

Good question, molona. Recently, I’ve bought a book called “Soft Skill” from Manning. Basically, this is a IT guy who retired at 34. From the book, he says that every developer should have a tech blog as that will show more of his knowledge than through interview questions. Also, he successfully received numerous side jobs from his IT blog reader. Because of this, I started my own IT blogger. One of the ways to promote is through a signature. Since I only have 1 shameful article, I wanted to promote other IT blogger as well.

Back to the topic. I think it’s a valuable resource to have signatures. For example, let say a member who’s very proficient at specific technology listed 3 of his IT blogger link then a lot of people will check it out. Of course, I do understand that it could be looked as a spam if EVERYONE had signatures w/ rainbow colors. Perhaps, you can allow a member who posted 100 messages or gotten specific number of likes or etc… to have signature.

This can be put on and viewed from their profile, as I understand it.

But I, too, would like to see signatures (STRIPPED OF HTML/GRAPHICS/SCRIPTS) return to SPF. If for no other reason than I won’t have to manually type what I put at the end of every post. (Drum roll, please…)

V/r,

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I see your point but Discourse doesn’t allow signatures so… not possible

And although I see value in signatures, I do agree that they add clutter. Now, myself I could deal with the extra clutter when there’s true value in it but, unfortunately, too many people abused this benefit in the past.

We still have some visitors (I will not call them members because they don’t provide value to the community) that only come here to drop the link, often in the form of false signature.

Unfortunately, very few people understand the value of the signature ina a forum comes from the value you provide to the community. People have little time and are rarely curious about what a newbie can do. Or someone extremely rude, even if (s)he’s knowledgeable, or someone very annoying.

But for those who answer questions and provide interesting topics of discussion, then it is easy that someone would like to know more about him or her. If they see what they like, they may visit that website over and over, and even see it as a reference. It is then when a signature provides value. The more expert you become and the more you help, the more valuable the signature will be

And that value is available via the User Card and Profile.

There is no need for obtrusive Signatures.

1 Like

So, in light of that it is very unlikely that signatures would be added to Discourse (core), or to the Sitepoint themed version, all I can suggest is to use your Profile.

Some points to note (feel free to click on my username on this post to see them)

1. You can include a background image
  2. Your “About Me” section will be shown or at least the first paragraph
  3. Your avatar shows

So in the end, I’d focus on creating an easy to identify/associate avatar, create a background image that suits your avatar well, and then write up an About Me that expresses your biggest points in the first paragraph and the rest is there to support that first paragraph (as the rest will only be visible on the Profile page).

I’m with @mawburn on this – signatures are just clutter. I don’t think they anything of value to the content of a thread. Even if they have useful content in their own right, they don’t belong in this context. They are the “noise” in “signal to noise” ratio :slight_smile:

Try reading a forum thread with a screenreader, and you get a smack-in-the face appreciation for just how out of place they are! You’re listening to the text of a post, and then it suddenly starts talking about something else, or gives you a list of unrelated links. Massively confusing.

5 Likes

Agreed. I love the sig free nature of this forum now. Sometimes I try to follow forum threads elsewhere and it’s hard to find the content amid all the signatures, ads and other cruft.

By clicking on an avatar/username the user card pops up to show the first part of one’s profile, so valued links can be put in there.

3 Likes

Ah, I see you’ve just now found it :thumbsup:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.