How do I

How do I find a notepad file using windows explorer? I’m in need of finding out, but as simple as it may sound… I can’t figure it out. Please help! :slight_smile:

Do you mean you’re looking for a saved file, but can’t remember where you put it? You should just be able to search for it by name. If you can’t remember what you called it, try searching for the extension. e.g. .txt (You might need to set Windows to show file extensions, if it doesn’t already.)

Well what I mean is I am learning xhtml and was given the directions to type the code into notepad, then find it using windows explorer so I can display it in my browser and view it as a web page. I can’t figure out how to use explorer to find it (the steps to it), nor do I know how to put it in my browser. Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it. I know this is a simple question… but I’m new to this and can’t figure it out.

OK, firstly, do you know where you saved the file? If not, use the “search” facility to get it to show you your file path. I’m not using Windows at the moment, so I’m going from memory here, but it will be something like C:\username\My_Documents\folder\filename. Presumably you called the file index.html or something similar - to display in a browser, it should have an .html or .htm extension. Once you know where the file is, open the relevant folders (probably starting with “My Documents”) until you see it. Then you should be able to double-click it to get it to display in your browser. If that doesn’t work, then you can right-click it and choose "Open with … " from the menu, then pick your browser to open it.

Thank you TechnoBear! It worked. I appreciate it. I was doing this as a project for school and got stuck at this point. Now I can complete what I was doing. Thanks again!

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: Glad I could dredge up enough memory of Windows to help.