How do you choose your keywords?

Hey

how do you choose the keywords to your seo process of the site?
are there any rules or tips you follow like checking prameters of competition and amount of times the keywords is searched by the people?

till now, i used the googe adwords in order to check general paramters of competition and amount of search by people.
i would love to hear more tips and ways you use.

While the google keyword tool gives an initial estimate at keyword popularity and competition, there are a few other ways to to determine good keywords which I have used with some (minor) success:

• Bestseller lists on websites such as Amazon give an idea of what type of products are trending
  • By simply doing a google search for your desired term you can see what competition is out there - even if the google adwords tool says ‘low competition’, you still have to be able to compete with the sites on page 1 of google.
  • With new or upcoming products, viewing the keyword popularity for previous related products. For example, if the term ‘iphone 3 widget’ was popular, the term ‘iphone 4 widget’ is likely to become popular as well even if it hasn’t yet.

Google keyword tools are help to find the keywords suggestion, it gives keyword competition, local and global monthly search volume to choose keywords for website.
another way I have analysis competitor websites and find the keywords

Just make sure your key words are relevant to the website.

I have use Google tools for select good keyword.because this tool provide all possibilities of keyword like how that keyword local and global use,keyword name is related to our website this all things provided by Google keyword tools.

Agree about google keyword tools - I’d look for exact match keywords and not broad for the most accurate and conservative estimate. Also use your head though…some keywords are going to be harder to generate content for and get ranked just because they are akward.