How do you do a 301 redirect within a cms please?

Anyone know how you can implement a 301 redirect within a cms please?

It may depend on the CMS, although you could just do it via something like .htaccess. What CMS are you using, and why do you need to do this?

just trying to do a redirect to satisfy Google. How do I find out what cms it is?? The clients already had it all setup when I came into it.

Hi,

Firstly, i need to know that which Cms you are using?.

A common way is to add a line like this for each redirect to a .htaccess file:

Redirect 301 /folder/old-page.html /newfolder/new-page.html

Are you familiar with .htaccess files? Normally there will already be one in the root folder of the site. If you view the source files online and choose to view hidden files, you’ll see the .htaccess file. Open it, and add in such a line for each page redirect.

You can also do them with PHP, but that might be a little less obvious, depending on how the CMS works.

I wounder how you can really manage the site successfully without knowing what is powering it. Do you have a control panel login? Presumably there would be a logo etc. in there.

Repeated :

I’m very familiar with using .HTaccess files, and can edit files on this new cms system, but can’t seem to be able to find how to find the .HTaccess file there???

You don’t normally do this via the CMS anyway. Do you have some kind of web hosting control panel, like CPanel? There should be a way to log in to the server, set up email addresses etc, and there you will have some kind of file manager. Open that (choosing the option to show hidden files) and you should find it there. Or if it really doesn’t exist, you can just create one.

No control panel.

Whether or not you can do your redirects with what you’ve got, I personally would not touch the job without access to the files on the server. It’s a basic requirement I’d insist on before agreeing to be involved with a site. You really need that kind of access. Surely you need to FTP things sometimes, for example, which means having the server log in details.

And as I said, regarding what CMS it is, there must also be a CMS control panel, and that surely would indicate what CMS it was, unless perhaps it’s something made up by the developer for the client and so doesn’t have a name.

Jobs already been taken on (I’ll know what to ask for next time! and there’s no control panel.

If there’s no control panel, there’s no CMS! A CMS is a system for managing content, so there must be a way to access that content. At the moment, it seems like you’re saying: 1) there’s no access to the server and 2) no access to the files or site content. You must have some kind of access … unless you are from the Harry Potter school of design, able to make changes with a magic wand. :smiley:

Then you obviously need a sight test, I never said I couldn’t access the files, just the .HTaccess file!

Indeed. So how do you access the files? Through some kind of code editor / ftp program? If you can view the files on the server through one of those, usually the .htaccess file will show up (if there is one). (Mind you, if you are doing this, then presumably you have server log in details, in which case you could use these to log in to the server, if you knew where the site was hosted, which should have a control panel of some kind. I find that’s more reliable that editing online files through a desktop code editor.)

I would say just upload a fresh .htaccess file, but the danger is that it could overwrite an important one that’s already there, so probably safer not to do that. The original developer might have had a reason to use a .htaccess file.

When I log into a site’s control panel, I normally have to tick a box to “show hidden files” to view the .htaccess file.

I just login to their website with my un and pw, then see the list of html files there, for me to amend where needed - there is nothing else visible.

And that would be the control panel Ralph was talking about :rolleyes:

There’s no control panel there :rolleyes: Try to read the posts :rolleyes:

Dez, I read the entire post… Whatever you logged into would be your control panel. It doesn’t have to be CPanel, Plesk, or some other typical hosting panel but I think that’s what ralph.m was asking. If I understand his questions, he was trying to find out how you are accessing the system; Control Panel Login, FTP, etc… so that he could assist you in accessing the .htaccess file.

Also, lighten up when people are here to help you out :rolleyes:

On several occasions ralph.m tried to help you and suggested you login to a control panel or file manager to edit the .htaccess file to make the changes needed. Not once did you say thanks. Your responses were just short blasts about how you know about editing .HTaccess, that there was no control panel and then you suggestted that he have his vision tested. If you know about editing .htaccess files you would know that they aren’t .HTaccess files and you would also know that you can always find the .htaccess file if you use an FTP browser on an OS that does not hide system files (even FireFTP with show hidden files turned on).

As already mentioned, there’s no need to be offensive when you’re looking for help.

As you’ve stated that your “non-control-panel” only shows a list of HTML files I’m going to assume that your control panel is bespoke and doesn’t have any in-built settings for handling .htaccess files. I’m also going to assume after looking at your previous posts that you’re running PHP; feel free to say otherwise.

This site states the basics of what you need to do on my assumed knowledge. You’ll need a way to access your files to see if you have a .htaccess file first (not using your control panel). HOWEVER, before you do any of this I would check with your host to see that what you wish to do is the right thing. More often than not your host will be more than happy to point you in the right direction if you fill in a support ticket.

Yup… That is probably the best bit of advice anyone can pass on. I’m often in the hosts FAQ, Forum or Knowledgebase because pretty much anything I want to do has been requested in the past. Good call :smiley: