How do you figure out the size of a web page?

I would like to compare the size of my web site’s home page with the size of other home pages from similar web sites and I would appreciate any suggestions on the fastest way to figure out how big a web page is.

The best method I have thought of so far is to do the following steps. (I’m using Mozilla.)

1. Right click the web page, choose View Page Info, and check the size on the General tab. For example, on sitepoint.com the size is 8626 bytes.

2. While in the View Page Info window, click on the Media tab, and add the sizes of all the images listed.

3. Add the totals from 1 and 2.

Thanks in advance for any other ideas.

I’m not really sure what you are getting at here. The size of your page is whatever size you’ve created your template to be. I mean generally speaking I work on 780px wide to suit the majority of my users, ie those that use 800x600 and 1024x768.

You can use Dreamweaver and that will tell you teh total size together with estimated download times depending on type of connection.

Originally posted by Daz
I’m not really sure what you are getting at here. The size of your page is whatever size you’ve created your template to be. I mean generally speaking I work on 780px wide to suit the majority of my users, ie those that use 800x600 and 1024x768.

“size” as in file size, ammount of data being transferred (size of html file, css, external javascript, images, etc)

Oops, guess who didn’t read the post properly :smiley:

I use HomeSite as my web authoring tool and it has a document weight function where it gives download times and file sizes on various modems.

I think the question is how to find the size of other sites… not his/her own.

here’s an unorthodox idea: if you’re on windows, open up your internet connection status window. check what the ammount of “received bytes” is. clear your cache, make sure there’s no other internet process running (e.g. outlook or similar), then go to the webpage. once it’s all loaded, read the new “received bytes” ammount and subtract the initial reading…voila’ (i know, convoluted, but i thought it was quite a sweet, low tech idea…)

Originally posted by redux
here’s an unorthodox idea: if you’re on windows, open up your internet connection status window. check what the ammount of “received bytes” is. clear your cache, make sure there’s no other internet process running (e.g. outlook or similar), then go to the webpage. once it’s all loaded, read the new “received bytes” ammount and subtract the initial reading…voila’ (i know, convoluted, but i thought it was quite a sweet, low tech idea…)

Alternatively, you can browse the web on your cellphone. Go to one site each online session, then check your bill at the end of the month. WARNING: This can get expensive!

Thank you for all your suggestions. I think I have another one that’s like the Dreamweaver solution, which I can’t use, because I don’t have Dreamweaver.

I think that I can just save a local copy of a web page. When I do this in Windows, I get an .html file plus a folder containing the image, .css and javascript files. So if I add the size of the .html file to the size of folder, I should get the size of the web page in total…or at least a close approximation.

If I’m missing something, please let me know.

If you go to www.gifwizard.com they will give you an estimate of the download time of a given page for 56 K modem users. You can use them to compare page load speeds of other sites to yours.

you might want to also look at a piece of software called “webtool”, it can generate all sorts of information on a web page, including things like page file sizes, images sizes etc etc… http://www.iconico.com/webtool/

there are also screen calipers availbale for download there whcih can come in quite handy…

I think opera (at least 7) shows the full page size in the status bar if correctly configured.

Quentin