How Facebook Is Different?

How Facebook Is Different from the rest of social networking sites?Yes, this is a question that arise in my mind always. Of course I am not talking about twitter. How it is different from the rest of the social networking sites. Myspace is having all those features which Facebook is having except “like” button i guess. Even Friendster is same. Orkut is having the same features. What makes Facebook so special that everyone loves to use it and be a part of it? Is it just marketing that has settle everything in our minds or is it really offering something more valuable to us than any other social networking site? I always use these websites and wonder why its just facebook? Share your thoughts, I would love to know what you think about it?

Perhaps because it’s more user friendly than the rest. : )

When it first started out, it offered a clean, no-frills interface. It wasn’t about blasting music to visitors or picking color schemes that included obnoxious animated gifs.

The other thing is when it first started out, it was exclusive to colleges. Everyone wants to be part of the in-crowd, so an exclusive website had a certain kind of allure.

Now? Everybody else and their mother is on facebook, so people who aren’t using it yet typically join up because their friends and family are using it.

Facebook allows many users to connect with each other it user friendly. Others have some or other restrictions.

What restriction you face while connecting to a friend in Myspace or Orkut which dont face in Facebook?

Everyone is posting is, it is more user-friendly. Would you be more specific like what real ease you feel in in terms of its interface which you dont get in any other social networking site.

Guys, The point of this discussion is to find out, is Facebook really different from other social networking sites or is it just a marketing glamor that Facebook has been a word of every mouth. This will help us to find out if we want to start a new venture, what are those points that can be more crucial.

I would say it is pure marketing up until a year or two ago. Remember facebook started out for colleges only, and only 3 .edu domains could join, then they added 3 or 6 more. My university was chosen to be included within that expansion. At the time, a lot of people at school were on collegebook or something, which was like facebook. However whatever the other site was called, it was a disaster. So we all jumped to facebook, I liked it because I could find out who was in my classes and such, which lead me to meeting people.

I don’t really understand why it still grows so much still.

I found it incredible (and efficient) that our university’s entire communication was built around facebook when it was only college-focused. Setting up group-project times, finding out if class was canceled, events for the professor-sponsored happy hour (true). Despite the obvious risk, professors LOVED having their cred built through an expansive friends list.

Face Book is different from others because

Its more popular
Its user Friendly
Many people likes it
Good for marketing

I think Facebook has a great layout & its interface is more user-friendly than others. It is more popular & glamorous,above all of this,it has a trillion of people on its network.

Do you mean your official communication or the informal? When it was new we didn’t have any professors that were on it, at least their presence wasn’t widely known. Then again, my college experience wasn’t great, so I never became close with any professors. Also my school is higher end, so there is a hierarchy of prof > graduate > undergrad.

It’s too obvious you are talking about friendster here. :wink: But you are exactly right. I think the way they made, like the clean interface attracted not only high school and college studs but older as well. And that’s what made them really big.

I was thinking myspace, but friendster fits the bill too.

Facebook is easy to connect my friend all the time. Posting on the wall or chat.

Another reason is the illusion of absolute privacy. It’s like you’re behind a wall, and no one can see you or touch you unless you let them in. I know that a lot of people are into that, for some reason. I think that’s retarded, myself.

We can promote our links through facebook, there are lot of business running through facebook. I think these are the few reasons for facebook became more popular!

I don’t really get that one so much. I setup one of my site’s to be completely sharable on facebook, but i don’t SEE any benefit, because facebook will link the user to an INTERNAL page ABOUT the site, instead of taking them TO the site, which is about worthless… Perhaps it’s because i’m looking at it as the page’s “Administrator”…

I think Facebook offers better features than any other social networks. Not only can you connect with many people, you can also play games in it, answer quizzes, post photos, shop, etc. That’s what makes Facebook very popular.

Kinda off topic: I hope facebook though would be able to disable any command that other people do to download photos from your album. And hopefully they’ll able to resolve spammers from posting fake status updates.

I hope they choke, but that’s just me :D. I keep getting banned from facebook far adding my FAMILY members, and for messaging them.

Besides, i always thought that locking an ENTIRE website behind a wall of privacy was a bit ridiculous. Allowing users to set strict privacy options is one thing, but the WHOLE site?

hi,
I guess facebook become more popular in business owners, for its different marketing and advertising concepts.