How hard is it to break into the web design industry?

Hi,
From the time I was eleven I’ve been into designing websites. Now I’m eighteen years old and looking into pursing web design as a career. I know that what I know about web design now isn’t nearly enough to get a job with. I’m planning on either going to college or taking a course on web design, but before I can make this kind of choice I need to know: Is it difficult to break into the web design industry, even with proof of college or college level education and a portfolio?
Thanks

<snip />

Unfortunately, at least in my experience, web DESIGNERS are about a dime a dozen. I am currently employed by a company and i do design as part of my job, but other skills such as SEO and programming have helped me grow within the company. Every once in a while i’ll look online on sites like monster.com just to see what companies are looking for when hiring and employee in my field and most of them want a college degree (4 year, business or computer related) and about 5 years experience.

If i were you i’d start by building a portfolio online and posting on eLance. if you’re just starting out and you don’t really “need” the money right away, you should be able to find some design jobs you can bid pretty cheap on to help build up your portfolio and your resume.

On the other hand, the best designs in the world do little for a company if the website isn’t found, and learning SEO is a great way to set you apart from other people who can only design.

my $.02

Pretty easy, it requires laser focus. Hey luckily we’ve got the web so you’ve got a whole library of video tutorials which is a tool of immense power.

Dan(Polyhedra)

It shouldn’t be too hard to break in to the web design industry if you have the right education and talent. Of course, having a portfolio to showcase your designs will also help you get a break in the industry. While talent is inborn, the remaining can be worked on by pursuing a graphic design degree and taking on freelance assignments to develop your portfolio.