How many people search?

Hi!
Hoping you can help me.
I am writing a presentation and I am looking for up to date stats about how many people search on a monthly or daily basis. Ideally stats from last month would be great.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

O.

How many people search for what? We are all searching, dude … :slight_smile:

I assume you mean how many people conduct online searches each month? That’s probably a bit of a vague question. I was just hearing the other day that Google’s tools will show you how many times a keyword or phrase was searched each month, but that’s as close as anything I’ve head of come to what you seem to be asking for.

All sorts of data gets posted online, so there may be articles on the web about search statistics. Have you done any Googling yet?

Hi,
ye, I did google and I found that in September 2011 in the USA alone 17.1 Billion searches were carried out.
Maybe the information I am looking for is not available or too vague.

I just want to try and enforce how important it is that a site is optimised for the web as a lot of people now search rather than use domain names.

O.

Hm, yeah, it must be hard to quantify this, as there are lots of search engines etc. Though I guess Google is a good guide. Is this for a particular client, or in general? I ask because it’s misleading to tell someone about the potential of billions of searches/visits to their site if they are selling something obscure that is not searched for much. Sometimes it can be shocking to find how rarely certain key words are searched for in Google—even though you’d think they might be quite popular.

Its just a general presentation that I am putting together (for a new job) and wanted to talk about SEO. Might just cut out the figures and discuss general importance of getting it right for the site.

O.

Sounds like a good idea. The key is to make it clear what your site is for so that it’s also clear to the search engines, because there’s a lot of competition out there. Do just about any search and you’ll see something like “Results 1 to 10 of 54,359,657”. Millions of results per search. If you can’t get near results 1-10, you are basically fried.

Great, thanks for the quick replies!

I’m off to search for more SEO information :slight_smile:

O.

The sticky threads at the top of this forum a packed full of great tips and resources, so they are worth checking out. :slight_smile:

If I remember correctly comScore release a bunch of statistics regarding search. You may be able to find something worthwhile from this Google search.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=comscore+number+of+searches&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#q=comscore+number+of+searches&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=SJW&tbo=1&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&output=search&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ei=1hC9ToKUIc-aOsPmlNIB&ved=0CAsQpwUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=a9c2f2b04d44c7c3&biw=1920&bih=987

Use Google Trends and Google Insights for Search to find out how many people search online.