How much do you earn as a Webmaster?

I would like to know how much you guys make as webmasters … you don’t have to state if you don’t want to … or maybe you can give a rough estimate ??

Do take care in the meanwhile …

$675,000 per year.

Not.

This should be interesting if anybody answers This question to me is like asking a women how many karats her diamond is when she says she is engaged, or asking someone you don’t know well how much they paid for their new house.

In Australia, salaries for Web Developers range from $40,000 AUS all the way up to $80,000 AUS depending on skills and experience.

Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder/Administrator
http://www.SitePoint.com - Resources to Build and Grow Your Site!
matt@sitepoint.com

Though not all of my contract work is strictly web design, I hope to make between $80 and $100 thousand this year. It depends on overtime on my current project though which is averaging 15 hours a week.

Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

I should also add to Matt’s post that truly talented Web Developers can get up to $100,000 or a bit more, depending on the array of skills and also the type of companies. For example, senior ColdFusion developers can easily command at least $90-120K.

Webmasters on the other hand are a slightly different breed over here in Oz, in that they’re usually also responsible for server maintenance, FTP, network mgt. to/from server, etc. These command around $40-90K.

P.S. All prices in Australian

Well if you look on a job site its not hard to find a listing for a Database Programmer at $140 an hour. Thats not entirely purely webdesign though.

I worked for a brief period of time as a contractor through this “frontpage” webdesign company. They demanded all the people use frontpage to make sites (I think because the boss was stupid and thats all he knew so he needed to be able to edit the sites himself) Anyways they didn’t have anyone who could code or program, and they needed someone, so I did 1 perl script for them, took me 5 hours, got paid $500 and then left cause they wanted me to use frontpage. But they paid their web designers (now this is small time if you just know frontpage) $10 an hour.

Right now I’m going to school and working, I make around $100 an hour+ but its not full time. If it eventually becomes fulltime I’ll be making quite a bit though. Another good source of income for us independent people is to start a hosting company by being a reseller for another one. I “host” all the sites I make and I take a $25 a month profit off each. Not much by itself but after 10 sites thats $250 a month, which is near my rent, after 20 sites thats an extra 6 grand a year, and so on.

Chris

Depends what work I do as to how much I earn, most of my work is programming now mainly PHP but sometimes VB.

On a current project I was getting £100 an hour for PHP work. As for VB, it is usually a fixed cost piece of work and usually between £50-£100+ an hour.

Another big part of my work is maintenance work, which i sometimes do for free If I have time (It keeps clients happy) but most of the time I charge between £10-£25 an hour.

Karl Austin
KDA Web Services
“Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don’t have film.”

I’m prohibited by law to make money… :frowning:

Christophe

Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

Well it all depends. I’m getting $90 from an advertiser soon and $100 from a design. Otherwise, most people name their price for web design.

Stuart Briscar

$50-$75-$100 per hour. Somewhere in there. I’m making around $2000/month working 14 hours a week. I made $6000 once working 20 hours in a week.

Justin Stayton
Freelance Web Designer
justin@j.cx
www.j.cx

BC: My original 40K-80K price was for Web Developers – people who do HTML coding, graphic design, JavaScript and maybe a bit of PERL.

Database programmers, depending on their skill level, are generally much more expensive.

Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder/Administrator
http://www.SitePoint.com - Resources to Build and Grow Your Site!
matt@sitepoint.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial”>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by freesources:
[b]I’m prohibited by law to make money… :frowning:

Christophe

[/b]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will make money anyway :slight_smile:

Christophe

Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

I think it depends on what site you run.

Marc James
Sports Central - All Sports, All The Time!

Does anyone charge a flat monthly or yearly fee for web design related stuff like promotion, updating, or any other things? If so how much?

Wes
Windows-Network
600 Web Studios

I pay my programmers based on their skills.

Anywhere from 35k to 100K for the top guys. It all dedpends. Degrees? I tell you, I have seen some kids that can program better that grown-ups with Computer science degrees and yes I would pay the kids more!!!. The proof is in the pudding when it comes to programming.

Wes, personally I prefer to request ‘on-call’ fees instead of charging monthly or yearly, since it’s really dependant on how much updating the client wants. Of course, the best option is to state that ‘updating’ should be done constantly to keep customers coming back, and then charge slightly above-average rates for the updating and promotion. Clients usually don’t mind at all since they see the result

[This message has been edited by BC (edited August 20, 2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial”>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BC:
Clients usually don’t mind at all since they see the result
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That’s the thing, if they can see the resutls of the updating then they are happy - and if you charge them more than normal you aren’t out of pockeet when you change something behind the scenes that they don’t see (That way they think they are seeing all the changes and only paying for those that they see, and it keeps you happy too).

Karl Austin
KDA Web Services
“Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don’t have film.”

I’ve been at this web stuff for awhile but havn’t made any noteworthy profits yet. I attribute part of this to running a baseball site while getting the hang of it all (baseball online is not a lucrative market)…however I think the investments I’ve made with my time recently will begin to pay off shortly.

As for design and programming…I charge a flat rate when I’m designing a website with a small monthly fee for maintenance if it’s needed. Charging hourly is good for some things, but I find that my clients enjoy knowing exactly how much they’ll have to pay…they also don’t have to worry themselves over whether or not I’m kicking back and stretching my hours out.

Don’t know enough about programming to comment all that much, but I definetly agree with Matt’s sentiment that they’re paid more.

Chris Bowyer – chris@mycoding.com
MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

These numbers are probably a safe bet: http://careers.yahoo.com/employment/datamation/tracker.html?s=n/emp/datamation/tracker/e-commerce/12.html

Owen

Or get exact results: http://swz.salary.com/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?jobcode=IT10000153&narrowcode=IT02&geo=the+United+States&zipcode=00000&jobtitle=Webmaster

I’m not sure what the difference between webdesigner 1, 2, and 3 is though…

Hope this helps,
Owen