How much should I be earning?

Hi all,

I need some insight and perspective from fellow designers and developers alike.

I’m sure this question has bounced around the minds of many people in our field and it’s one I’ve been fiddling with lately. In your experience and opinion, what salary should I be on, based on my experience, skill set, contributions and value to the company I work for and its growth? Here are some scraps of info on me:

• I live and work in the UK, and will turn 27 this year. I currently earn £22,000 p/a with no previous salary rises or adjustments.
  • I’ve been doing front-end development for around 10 years, as a hobby. In terms of professional, employed experience, I’m edging towards the 2 year mark. At the same time, I will have completed a year’s service with my current employer.
  • My skill set is typical of a front-end developer - very competent in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript/jQuery, (a little) PHP, Sass/LESS, wireframing/scamping, RWD, UX/UI focussed design, Photoshop/Illustrator, etc.
  • I consider RWD and UX design my speciality or ‘focus’.
  • Obviously I cannot prove or form tangible evidence of this, but I’m a key contributor in the web design department in my company, not just a dull, uninspired ‘nine-to-fiver’.
  • My company is the largest UK holidays provider in the world, and part of a multi-million-dollar multinational conglomerate.

This company is incredibly tight with its wallet, and do not give out pay rises easily (in fact, my department head said they “don’t do pay rises, ever”, which seems naive…). Despite this, when I cross the 2 year milestone, I intend to defy all futility and negotiate for a raise. I’ve been on a higher salary in the past, and I know that there is no concrete answer to this.

I need to know in your unbiased opinion, however, what salary you believe I should be on, based on the information I listed. Am I on a good salary? A poor salary? What should it be? Don’t be afraid to argue with me, ha.

Thanks. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: