How often do I need to submit my site to the major search engines?

Which bit of “there is never a need to submit to search engines” did you not get?

There is NO need to do this; it will make NO difference.

There’s no must anywhere.

How many search engines out there do you think there are? The only ones worth worrying about are Google, Yahoo and Bing, and even then I’d say the only one to really put any effort into is Google, unless you have a particular market where it is less popular. Submitting your site to a hundred fringe search engines won’t make a jot of difference to what Google does with it.

you really don’t don’t need to do it just google and yahoo are enough if you site is crawled by them

Why do people make this stuff up for? You do not need to submit your site to Google at all and why would you even want to submit it to Yahoo??? They do not even crawl sites any more!!! What planet have you been on?

I have put my website up on numerous directories. It doesn’t help. Good quality links are hard to get in ref to google these days. My page rank has gone from page 1 to page 3 to page 5 and then back to page 3 again where it sits.

Short of paying for SEO (which can be a waste of money in some cases) what are the best ways to raise my rank?

as most people here have said only google really matters, in my experience this is true and you can increase your rankings with good quality backlinks

No not worthy at all… beside you will probably use the 3 major SE’s right? so i think you should keep you $20 bucks…

Once Google knows you exist you dont need to resubmit your site, just put Google anyalitics onto your site and that should tell Google where you are etc

Care to explain how Google analytics actually does that?

it just lets google know your there and works for me, but if you want to be 100% sure just open a webmasters tools account and submit an xml site map but you already know this with 1278 posts

Nope. Google analytics has NOTHING to do with the indexing and crawling of a site.

As it it totally unnecessary to submit a site to search engines, then you are running a scam to fleece innocent webmasters of money.

Google is major search engine. submit to Google and for some more benefits add to Bing, yahoo. I think you have no more need after this.

Care to explain why you actually need to submit to these search engines? What benefits do you actually get? Have you read this thread before posting? … there is NO benefit from submitting to any of those search engines since at least last century!

This is an entirely different question than the thread subject. It is also the subject of 99% of the threads in this forum.

The original question has been asked and answered over and over, and some folks are (understandably) becoming annoyed. Let’s close this and move on.