How on Earth they coded this?

http://www.campaignliving.com

The way the header area changes it’s elements on scroll. Then below those subtle 3D-like movements of the furniture. And even more below how the armchair uses stop-animation on each scroll.

It is pretty clever, using a series of videos that play on scroll. But the site does rely heavily on JavaScript, and is a bit of a mess if JS fails in any way. Ideally, there would a usable fallback for less capable devices.

2 Likes

I’m on a fairly fast fibre connection at work right now, and I got bored waiting for the page to load.
Anything that takes that long to load, without any “no thrills” shortcut is a complete failure as a website, however clever it may look.

3 Likes

It seems to be an issue in Firefox. It just hangs on the loading icon forever, tried it on a couple of machines running FF. In Chrome it loads.

It’s loading for me on Firefox (on Ubuntu Gnome).

As @ralphm said, it’s next-to-useless with JS disabled, which is how I normally browse, but it does load OK with JS enabled.

I’m glad that I hear your opinions. For me, although it is a responsive-ready layout, it hardly recognises when I reduce the browser width to shift to mobile layout. I see it’s overloaded with JS.

So in overall I can conclude, definitely a unique UX approach, but disastrous technical execution.

1 Like

At work I’m still on XP64, that could be it.
It loads in Firefox on my laptop at home. But it is still painfully slow.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.