How php interpreter read the php code?

Does it read the file line by line and check even HTML and JScript at first! or does if search for <?php ?> and read what is between?

They are not deprecated (considered so, or otherwise), but short tags and ASP-style tags are, as the Zend guide points out, not recommended as I said earlier. I feel that I can speak for the PHP documentation group here in qualifying that if something is deprecated in PHP, it will emit an E_DEPRECATED; if it does not, then it is simply not a deprecated feature. Sorry I tried to clarify the situation for others, next time I’ll keep my trap shut.

Well, I’ll rephrase: there is absolutely no mention of them being deprecated in the official vanilla PHP guide.

Granted this is a mute point though. I don’t know why anyone would really both using anything other than <?php ?> for any reason other than just being a bit stubborn.

Valid does not mean they’re not -considered- deprecated. Your Next Generation consoles play previous generation console’s games. The previous generation are still considered deprecated, even though they’re still valid in the new machine.

Off Topic:

Uhh, not true. None of those styles of tags are deprecated. However, short tags and ASP-style tags are recommended against, in the name of portability, and very few people use the <script> tags.

It basically process everything in the PHP tags (as StarLion said), then sends the generated page to the user. Once it’s there it processes HTML and Javascript (just like any page without PHP would).

the PHP processor ignores everything not enclosed inside <?php ?>, <? ?>, <% %>, or <script language=‘php’></script> tags. Note that everything except <?php ?> is considered deprecated.

Yep, I misread that. Going back and looking at it again at what samanime said makes sense.

The PHP docs team has nothing to do with php|architect nor their study guides. I’m not entirely sure where you’re trying to go with this so would ask that we perhaps steer the discussion back on topic? :x

Well then i’d suggest the PHP Documentation group contact the people who are producing their study guide and telling them they got it wrong…

(Even the new Zend-Online 5.3 guide lists only the <?php ?> and <script> tag formats)

Quoted from the php|architect’s Zend PHP 5 Certification Study Guide:
“Short tags, script tags and ASP tags are all considered deprecated and their use is strongly discouraged”.

That’s Zend. The official vanilla PHP guide says that they are all still valid.

You misunderstand what sam said.

Yeah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I basically said what you said.

PHP takes PHP tags and makes page with any generated HTML in place, then it’s served up (by Apache/IIS) like any other HTML page. PHP interpreter ignores anything outside of PHP tags and it’s just left there.

The interpreter ignores the HTML. Apache serves the processed PHP output and the HTML to the client.