How to add a blog in a HTML/CSS website

Hi,
I have created a website based only on html and .css. Now I want to attach a blog to the website where people can post there opinions.
1: What I need to do to make it happen?
2: Do I need to learn .php for this?
Also, I did a little bit of research and came to know about wordpress. Any clarification on wordpress would be much appreciated.

An interactive site that stores user-submitted content needs to be driven by server-side code, such as PHP, and a database, such as MySQL.

Wordpress is a content management system that started out as a simple blogging platform. Do you have some specific questions about Wordpress?

1 Like

Hi,
Please bear with my little knowledge. I have developed a website poton-payoga.webatu.com just to learn html. Now I want to include a blog like the one we are using now. Does it require PHP? I think yes. Lets keep the doubt aside regarding Wordpress.

I was under the impression that if I save the file with .php extension, double click it and it will open in the browser(like html) but it does not work that way.
Could you please let me know what are the things required to run a .php file while I am learning the language?

PHP files need to be executed (like an application on your computer). The file is read and then the output is returned to your web browser. Usually that output is in the form of HTML but it could also be JSON, or an Image, or a PDF or CSV file, etc. In order for your web server to know what to do with PHP files you will need to install a module to interpret those files. Most shared hosting plans already have this taken care of for you. Your web host (webatu) already provides support for PHP but you will need to navigate to that PHP file in your browser’s address bar. You cannot simply double click on the PHP file.

Another option which is much simpler would be to use an iFrame of another blog (like blogger, tumblr…) inside of your HTML page. This approach has several downsides (bad for SEO, screws up the browser back button and navigation, etc.) but is much easier to get up and running.

If you want to keep things really simple, you can continue to post static HTML pages for your blog and let people comment by using a plug in, 3rd part service like Disqus. It’s being used by a lot of sites these days, including SitePoint.

Still, it’s a little clunky to do a blog like this, so a CMS is generally better. You could use a simple one like Perch, which plugs in nicely to a static site and includes blog functionality.

1 Like

You can create a forum at: https://docs.google.com. then you insert into your site
It’s completely free.

Hi, you can:

Does your site use cPanel as a hosting control panel? If you really want to make it easy, cPanel has this feature where you just click a button and it will install WordPress for you. Almost no work necessary.

As i assume your knowledge is limited, the simplest way is to use an iframe that displays your blog created at blogger.com . I don`t think at this point you are concerned about seo and industry standards.