How to add site title to browser bar only?

Hi

My site is mostly static html (no CMS) with some php. I want to add the Site Name so that it doesn’t appear in the search engine title tag but does appear after a seperator in the browser bar. I want to this because I have a very long site name and I don’t want it to use up all my title tag characters but do want it to appear in a visitors browser bar.

E.g
This is the title tag content for me to use l My site name

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

I am not aware of any way to do that.

But if the site name appears after the page name then it doesn’t matter if it goes over 60 characters, it will just be truncated at that point, but the page name will appear first and so will be left intact.

My question would be why do you have a title so long, at least in terms of the title attributes ACTUAL PURPOSE – the title as it appears in the browser title-bar, in a tab, or on the desktop.

Though this kind-of falls into the “this is why we can’t help you” trap since you included no links to the page in question.

But from what you’ve said so far, it sounds like the page itself is problematic at best… I’m guessing wildly but I smell SEO snake oil.

Goodness

My question would be why do you have a title so long, at least in terms of the title attributes ACTUAL PURPOSE – the title as it appears in the browser title-bar, in a tab, or on the desktop.

The name of the business is long i.e. 29 characters - simple as that. You don’t need a link to the site to help with the question. Wordpress allows you to add a “site title” in ‘settings’ that allows you to do just this. My question is can I achieve this - maybe with a php snippet?

it sounds like the page itself is problematic at best… I’m guessing wildly but I smell SEO snake oil.

Yes, you’re right on this you are guessing wildly, the page isn’t problematic I am trying to do something that I have explained for a logical reason that I have also explained.

Thanks Stevie, yes thats an option - I guess I just wanted the title to appear clean on the serps and avoid truncation if possible. I had noticed that Wordpress allows you to do this so thought I might be able to achieve this somehow myself.

I believe potentially you could use a user-agent detection string and place the TITLE into a variable but whether it was a sensible thing to do is another matter.

I wouldn’t recommend it - at worst, it will look like cloaking and get you severe black marks.

Yes, I agree not a good idea. I was just saying theoretically, loosely that’s probably how it could be done.

When you said long I thought you meant LONG. 29 characters is bupkis…

Then open up a wordpress site that does it, and look at how it does it!