How to block toll free numbers?

I don’t know if you’re familiar with these numbers. They keep calling me almost everyday, 3-4times day.

1-800-395-8289
1-866-287-2543

I’ve reported to donotcall.gov but they still calling :mad:

These numbers are debt collection companies.

And to deal with them, read this post (I’m presuming you live in the USA):

Goshhh i’m so pissoff. Everytime I pick it up, it tells “Please hold” sometime the reps asks for unknown person but they keep calling me. They have made 4calls this morning already

Read the link in the above post. :slight_smile:

Do I have to put my full name in the letter? Could you or someone please find postal address from this number: 1-800-395-8289

Thanks a lot guys

Company
CBCS
Address:
P.O. Box 1810
Columbus Ohio 43216
U.S.A.
Phone Number:
800-395-8289

Important Tip: Never send an FDCPA validation request letter - or any other correspondance for that matter - to the PO Box that they print on the form letter (or the envelope) :frowning:

Look on the letter for the actual business address. If it is not there (you may have to look very hard for it - debt collectors love putting it at the bottom of the page in very small type hoping you won’t notice it), go to www.ftc.gov and file a complaint against the collection agency.

And yes, you have to use your full first and last name. For example, I would use “Daniel Schulz” instead of “Dan Schulz” in my correspondance with them.

What state are you in?

Thanks Dan, I’m currently living in KS

// I’ve found that PO Box from ripoffreport site

This Google search result should be very interesting to you then:

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Kansas+debt+collection+law&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Lucky for you, you get to record phone calls in your state :slight_smile: (in fact, I’d state that in your validation request letter - like so):

I am also requesting, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices to my home, my cellular phone, or to my place of employment. Be advised that the State of Kansas permits recording of telephone correspondance inside residents’ homes, and as such I reserve the right to record any and all telephone communications by you that are made to my place of residence. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to, computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment and I will have no choice but to file suit.

Or something to that extent anyway. Note that the italics are for emphasis only (to illustrate where the text would be inserted in one of MY letters, and should be removed from the final copy).

By the way, Dan, excellent post indeed. Very informative.

Out of curiosity, is this something you’ve had professional experience with? (I sense that you may have done time in a collection shop at some point?)

As a plaintiff in a class action lawsuit, yes.

so I’ll go ahead and send the validation request letter to their PO Box or should I wait and dig for their postal service address?

Do not send ANYTHING to the PO Box. You need the business address. There is no way around it. Look on the form letter. A business address should be on the letter. If there isn’t one, you need to contact the FTC and file a complaint against the debt collector. You can do that one of three ways:

Call 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357)

Fill out the complaint form at https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

or write to

Federal Trade Commission
CRC-240
Washington, D.C. 20580

But whatever you do, DO NOT MAIL ANYTHING to the PO box or call the debt collector.

Dan, can you trade this phone number please:

801-494-1995

Thanks

A quick Google check turns up this page. Seems to be a survey taker of some kind.

I came upon this forum the other day when I was looking up info on toll free numbers. I have a problem with a debt collector & found this info very interesting. I have a question, though, if Dan or Robert are around today. What if the “debt” is old? Can I still send a FDCPA validation request letter, even though I believe these people contaced me last year? They keep calling at work. Today they called & said that they were going to file suit & garnish my wages & I’d have to pay court fees, etc. He asked if I wanted to voluntarily take care of it. I asked him to send me something in writing, but he said he would not. I asked for the name of the Company. He told me CRS. Since he sounded so “legal” I asked if he was a lawyer. He said he wasn’t, he was w/the legal dept. of the agency handling the debt. (I co-signed on my son’s used car a couple of years ago. My son let the insurance lapse on it, & the bank (?) put insurance on it and upped his monthly note. His car was totalled, & the ins. co. paid blue book on the car. The “bank” said he owed the difference) Anyway, I again asked this guy to send me something in the mail & he said he would not. He said something to the effect “so, you are refusing . . .”[to settle/pay/ I don’t remember] and I said “No. I want you to send me something in writing.” He said “you know what? I’m terminating this conversation.” and he hung up. Any info or help, guys? Thanks!

Someone with a debt collection legal department refuses to document the debt in writing? That doesn’t sound right. Did he give you any other identifying information, other than a three-letter acronym and a lot of tough guy bluster?

When did the collection agency first contact you regarding the debt? Also, has the statute of limitations expired on the lawful collection of the debt as well? You can still send an FDCPA validation letter, but if it is sent after the initial 30 days from the first written notice that was sent to you by the collection agency, AFAIK you will only be limited to being able to ask them to verify their legal ability to collect the debt (statute of limitations and so forth).

Also, the collection agency (IIRC) is required by law to send you a written collections notice. If he refuses to, contact an attorney and prepare to file suit against them. You’ll also want to file a formal complaint against the collection agency with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), which has jurisdiction over FDCPA, FCRA and CPA (that’s the Consumer Protection Act, not a certified public accountant) law enforcement.

There was a recent amendment made to the FDCPA (which was signed into law by the President last month) stating that collection agencies may continue their collection attempts against you during the initial 30 day period as long as A.) you have not sent them an FDCPA validation request letter, and B.) the collection attempts do not otherwise violate the FDCPA.

Of course, since IANAL (I am not a lawyer), this is about as much as I can tell you. From here on in, you’ll have to find a lawyer that specializes in debt collection abuse cases (you want to hire an attorney that represents CONSUMERS, not collection agencies) to help you, since everything beyond what I have posted here (in YOUR particular case) could be misconstrued as giving legal advice, which I am of course not qualified nor licensed to do.