How to block traffic from Google Custom Search

There is a website that I am aware of that has a Google Custom Search app on it. Its setup to search specific domains, and my website happens to be one of them. So this webmaster is getting Adsense revenue by using my content. At one time I was able to block traffic coming from his domain. However, he changed something so that now the $_SERVER[‘referrer’] is google.com. How is this possible? Is it because the Google Custom Search is inside a iFrame?

How can I block traffic from this offending website?

Thanks!

Easy, it can be spoofed
http://php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.server.php

‘HTTP_REFERER’
The address of the page (if any) which referred the user agent to the current page. This is set by the user agent. Not all user agents will set this, and some provide the ability to modify HTTP_REFERER as a feature. In short, it cannot really be trusted.

How is the content being displayed on that site? Is it in an iframe or are they generating an entirely new page?

If an iframe then you can simply add a deny header as explained on https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/X-Frame-Options

Check out YLsearch.com to see the particular site in question. Please let me know what you think.

How do you figure? I’m not seeing adsense ads there.
Nor any site in an iframe. Looks to me to be using the Google Search API

Can you post a link to your site the way it is supposed to look and a link to your site the way it looks when accessed via that search so we can see the difference. Presumably there is a difference in the addresses of the page.

Contact the domain owner that is doing this and ask to be removed from his/her custom search. If the domain owner refuses, contact the hosting service for his/her domain and let them know about it and how unhappy you are about it. If they refuse to help, contact a lawyer - in this litigious society, I’m sure there is SOME kind of legal recourse.

HTH,

:slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.