How to bypass popup blockers?

Some of us display important content in popups…but all the popup-killers makes regular javascript popups useless…

Are there any workarounds ?

Like to link to the popup with a regular link to a new window which has a js that makes that window resize, position and remove un-neccesary browser toolbars ?

Any enlightment would be very appreciated :slight_smile:

John

If your link is activated onclick or via some other user-initiated action, it should not be blocked by a popup blocker.

really ? I was under the impression that it killed some of the user initiated poups too, cause I see many sites who ask people to turn off popupkillers.

If the poup is initiated from java aplett, quicktime or flash is it then concidered user initiated ?

John

There are workarounds - like the code Sitepoint uses to popup its subscribe box.

thx Dave, gotta check it out…I`m newbee here…where may i find the subscribe feature / code ??

For me the SP pop-ups get blocked! IE blocks it and if they don’t get it my Google toolbar does! I don’t think I have seen one pop-up since the new service pack in Win XP!! I am VERY happy about that!

Some of us display important content in popups…

Users disagree with you on that. Users do not want any popups, so maybe you should try to accomodate them to get better results. I use FF1.0 and I rarely get any popups, and I couldn’t be happier. I don’t care if your site wants to show me a map to a sunken Gallion with 10,000 gold coins in its cargo hold–if it’s in a popup, I don’t want to see it.

As an alternative, you could use popup divs: toggle between display:none and display: absolute. I’ll gladly take a look at your treasure map then.
:slight_smile:

So users want popup divs?

Quote:
Some of us display important content in popups…

Users disagree with you on that. Users do not want any popups, so maybe you should try to accomodate them to get better results. I use FF1.0 and I rarely get any popups, and I couldn’t be happier. I don’t care if your site wants to show me a map to a sunken Gallion with 10,000 gold coins in its cargo hold–if it’s in a popup, I don’t want to see it.

I make 360 virtual tours, and with nav, maps, text-content and a decent sized windows and both qtvr and java solution, theres not room to put it in the webpage itself. Must be a “inline” frame possibly. Popups are good when used correctly…just wanna make sure I present them without quirks and problems for my audience…

Another point is that the tours must be easy to implement for a sites webmasters…and then a popup served from my server is the best solution…

John

We may discuss pros and cons of popups but I`m wondering if there are safe solutions to make popups which are “wanted” display proper, whatever popupkiller the browser may have… ??

ahem…

ahem ?

I read “should” as not supposed to, not like “will not”…with a zillion different popup killers and people reporting that even regular links in new window being stopped , and it “should” not happen, so it may be reason to ask after all…or ??

these problems are reported in some of the other threads in “Similar Threads”…

John

here ya go :wink:

If I have popups completely disabled, why would you want to force one on me?

Besides, you can’t force one on me, because I use Opera.

Conversely, why would you force yourself on a site that uses popups to get revenue to pay for hosting, design, maintenance, etc.

Use them as you normally would. EVERY decent popup blocker has the option to add a site to a trusted list. If you’re popup is needed, inform the user that popups are a crucial part of the site & if your site is trust worthy then you have no problems.

Also keep in mind, browsers like Firefox make it easy to disable resizing, turning off scrollbars, toolbars, address bars, status bars, ect… so don’t depend on being able to disable thoose things when designing.

If I have popups completely disabled, why would you want to force one on me?

Wont force anything on anybody, just wanna make the online experience as hassle free and usable as possible for anybodu who wants to see my content, regardless of their knowledge in configureing of their popupkillers…

AND I wanna be able to answer a potential clients webdesigners questions regarding the popupkillers issue: Will everybody be able to see this content you wanna sell us ???

John

computerages: thx for link :slight_smile:

Mike Foster: would it be possible to serve content of your dhtml popups ? ( checked your excellent site :slight_smile: )

Off Topic:

Why wouldn’t a webmaster find a better revenue source?