How to bypass popup blockers?

:lol: Well, you could make it so that visitors to your site don’t get all the content unless they accept the popup.

Oops, I’m busted! Yes, I’ve written a dhtml popup object. :smiley:
It’s an iframe wrapped in a div - a simple idea really. Yes, you can serve content in it. But that object may not be exactly what you need, altho you could make use of the “iframe wrapped in a div” concept. Be aware that many browsers give the user control over iframes as well. So… I don’t know if it would be worth the effort.

It should be noted again that ‘Jojn M’ is not talking about advertising :slight_smile:

DaveMichaels, I’m just havin a little fun with ya. I have advertising on my site too, so I do understand.

Such as?

Selling your own products, or at the very least, less obtrusive and annoying advertising.

That equals the roughly $4 cpm of popups/unders?

I recommend disabling js unless necessary, and enable for a short time when needed.
Imo installing a popup blocker is like installing a virus.

I don’t need to install a popup blocker, I use Opera – which also has the handy feature of letting you enable/disable Javascript with a couple of keystrokes :wink:

However, when planning a site, I take into account that not all of my visitors will see the pop-ups. So I use pop-ups just to draw attention to things - not to replace anything. The same links that are in the pop-up are also accessible in the regular menus.

Why “force” them on my users? I use it to draw attention to the site’s newsletter. Aparrently it’s pretty effective (I got the idea right here in SPF, following advice on the promotion forums ;)). I figure that people who are really bothered by pop-ups block them (I block pop-ups myself). Some people apparently don’t care enough, and even follow them.

Off Topic:

Read this. 95% of users find popups very annoying. If you keep feeding them popups they’ll eventually put 2 and 2 together and either install a blocker (which may or may not give you another impression towards your CPM) or they won’t come to your site anymore.

I have SP2 for my pc’s and run FF 1.0, I don’t get a bunch of pop-ups, but there must certainly be work arounds. I have a 3rd party popkiller, that beeps when one is stopped, and it beeps every once in a while. I recently wondered this question myself but ended up just removing the pop up, and end the problem. If I can FIND a place that triggers a pop, outside of FF or IE sp2 (with googlebar), I will post it.

Don’t you think that if such a facility existed that the spam/adware floggers would set their popups to be ‘wanted’? Or do you think they would say to themselves “no, my popup wouldn’t be wanted by users so I’ll leave it set as an ‘unwanted’ popup”? :wink:

Hum… popup div that don’t stop you from using the content … yes… but all those anoying adds that show up in a div in the middle of the text you’re trying to read as even more anyong that plain popups. A popup window you can remove … a div in the document right in the middle of your text you can’t (unless whoever designed it provided you with a way to get rid of it)

Just my 2cents

We address this problem and provide a few anti-blocker solutions and workarounds at www.adoutput.com. One of the easiest things to do is double check to make sure the popup has successfully launched, and if it hasn’t serve a dhtml layer with your pop in that. This technique works for both ads and for informational pops.

Our current version of the code serves popups automatically past ie plugin blockers, sp2 (user interaction or layer conversion), mozilla (user interaction or layer conversion), and opera (user interaction or layer conversion). The next version we’re currently working on serves popups directly through mozilla and opera with no user interaction required.

Advertisements are there for a reason and as long as popups are done responsibly they are a perfectly fine medium.

Popup creators just keep inventing new ways to bypass the blockers. Obviously people who have the blockers installed have made a decision that they do not want those! So why keep bugging them. I bet the ones that do come through the blockers have a very low response rate as the user is just more annoyed then anything that the popup came through.

Personally, I usually close my browser window immediately when I get to a website that tries to popup a window…even though it is blocked.

We have our bypass code running on a handful of major ad networks, and in actuality the CTR is 23% higher for users with blockers over users without.

Howdy! I’m a newbie here, but I think this is relevant.

There’s a Sitepoint article (www.sitepoint.com/article/perfect-pop-up) about building the perfect pop-up that might help. I used some of the tips in a small site I’m doing ([URL=http://www.jdgraphicdesign.com/dresher/dresherfoundation/index.html]www.jdgraphicdesign.com/dresher/dresherfoundation/index.html) that uses pop-ups to step the user through a worksheet.

I guess whether it works depends on how pop-up blockers disable the pop-ups. In Opera, disabling all pop-ups seems to have the same effect as turning off Javascript. Because the code includes alternate HTML links, in case JS is turned off, the pop-ups just load like regular pages in the main window.

Hope this helps!

–Jenny

My initial post is about making sure that CONTENT, not ads in popups may be served without popupstoppers making problems. This is very important for those of us that design CONTENT for others websites since integration with popups makes it easy to implement without the clients webmaster ( which may not have a clue, or may be filthy expensive ) have to be deeply involved…

please check www.panoramas.dk (fullscreen panos in popup) or www.virtualsurfers.de ( popup from boxes in middle ) with or without your popupblockers and youll understand why some of us WANT problem free popup delivery…

for the record: not my sites

John

In an html page it’s possible to create your pop up links in a way that will fall back on just opening a _blank browser window if the javascript doesn’t work.

With whatever script you’re using, put the URL in the href=“” attribute like you normally would and then in the onclick you would put ‘this.href’ instead of the URL.

<a href="page.html" onclick="popup_function(this.href); return false;" target="_blank">Click here</a>

Obviously, your “popup_function()” will probably require some other arguments to supply the pop up window attributes, but it depends on how you’re doing it. I can post the one I use if you want.

I’m not sure how every pop up blocker will handle this, but it should work with most of them. And if the user has all popups blocked and javascript disabled, it will open the page in a full browser window. Technically you could get rid of the target=“_blank” and it will open in the same window, but most popup content doesn’t work well that way.

thank you redivider - useful tips :slight_smile:

John is right… I recently built a site with user-initiated popups (for viewing detailed images of thumbnails) and while they didn’t get blocked 90% of the time, my Google toolbar randomly blocked the other 10%.