How to call php function on a form button using javascript

I am sure this has been asked hundreds of times but i can’t findanything useful anywhere even after looking for about a week.

What I want to do is have a form with several buttons on it such as “add”, “delete”, “edit” and “save”. They will all be normal buttons not submit buttons.

I have a php function that does the database stuff for each button action but I need to know how I would call that function depending on which button was clicked.

I am sure that I would use a javascript onclick function call on each of the buttons to call a javascript function but how would i call the php function from the javascript? I have looked at ajax and everyone keeps showing the basic functions on making a request but i can’t see anything about calling a php function.

Does anyone know how i could achieve what i am trying to do?

Hi AdRock952
One option would be to make the buttons submit, then change the form action property, with an onclick trigger.
See http://projectwownow.blogspot.com/2008/07/enable-html-form-to-submit-to-multiple.html for an example
Hope this helps

Or, if you want to leave them as buttons and not make them submit you could do the following

on your button have the following trigger

<input type="button" id="myButton" title="my button" onclick="performAction('edit');" />

then before your closing </form> tag have a hidden field called action, like so

<input type="hidden" id="action" name="action"  value="" />

then a javascript function as follows

function performAction(action)
   {
      // ASSIGN THE ACTION
      var action = action;

// UPDATE THE HIDDEN FIELD
      document.getElementById("action").value = action;

// SUBMIT THE FORM
      document.nameOfYourForm.submit();
   }

Then obv make sure that the action of your form is the relevant php script. which then does the following

if($_POST && array_key_exists("action", $_POST)){

// CARRY OUT SANITIZATION AND DATA VALIDATION HERE!!!!!!!!!

// CARRY OUT RELAVANT ACTION
  switch($_POST['action'])
   {
      case "edit":
        editRecord();
      break;
      case "add":
        addRecord();
      break;
      case "delete":
        deleteRecord();
      break;
      case "save":
        saveRecord();
      break;
   }
}

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rob

Many thanks chaps for your replies :slight_smile:

I tried your example neron as it made sense to me how it would work but i get a javascript error on document.adminform.submit();

Here is my form if you can see what is wrong

<script type="text/javascript">
			function performAction(action) {
				// ASSIGN THE ACTION
				var action = action;

// UPDATE THE HIDDEN FIELD
				document.getElementById("action").value = action;

// SUBMIT THE FORM
				document.adminform.submit();
			}
		</script>
<form id="adminform" action="#" method="post">
			<input type="button" class="delete-event" id="deletebutton" title="delete" onclick="performAction('delete');" />
			<input type="button" class="archive-event" id="archivebutton" title="archive" onclick="performAction('archive');" />
			<input type="button" class="edit-event" id="editbutton" title="edit" onclick="performAction('edit');" />
			<input type="button" class="add-event" id="addbutton" title="add" onclick="performAction('add');" />

</table>
			<input type="hidden" id="action" name="action"  value="" />
		</form>

My other question is that I have a file with all the php functions and i include that at the top of the page. Will it find these functions when it works?

Hi AdRock952,

The reason that is not working for you is because you need to change this line

<form id="adminform" action="#" method="post">

to this:

<form id="adminform" name="adminform" action="yourphpscripthere.php" method="post">

For some reason only FF and other standards compliant browsers can submit forms using their ID’s. IE does not like it and requires a name attribute.

Yes it should do provided you use the PHP code I provided you with in my original post. So you would have my php code at the top of your included file then all your functions below. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps

Regards
Rob

Many thanks Neron

This does exactly what I wanted to do and in so little code. You have saved me a massive headache and a lot of time :smiley:

No problem AdRock952,

Glad to be of help! :smiley: