How to change gradient Color in Illustrator?

Just got CS2. I even bought a lesson cd set was well worth the $100. Im about half way through the 4 cd’s. BUT even it didnt tell me (I skimmed over index for this). How do I change the gradient color from the default grey to anything else? Thanks.

I don’t have Illustrator CS but i’m going to assume it’s not that different from 10. In your gradient tool box b[/b] you should have sliders. Click on a slider to select which slider you want to change the color for and then go to your Color b[/b] tool box and set it to either RGB or CMYK (by clicking on the little arrow on the top right) whatever you need and play with the sliders there to select your color.

Do the same for the other gradient slider.

Note: you cannot select a slider and then select a swatch color as this will remove the gradient and apply the swatch (pretty sure it works this way in CS as well)

Clicking beside a slider will add another slider for you to have more than two colors in a gradient.

Clicking on a slider and dragging towards the bottom will remove it and it's color.

Thanks. Im going to try this right away!

“Note: you cannot select a slider and then select a swatch color as this will remove the gradient and apply the swatch (pretty sure it works this way in CS as well)”

It does. I kept doing that which is why I couldnt get the colors to change. Thanks for pointing that out-it was a huge help!

If you need a specific swatch color, double click on that swatch and you will get the values for that swatch. Write them down or remember them and enter them for when you are playing with the sliders for a color for your slider.

Depending on you Document color set up mode you will get values in either RGB or CMYK.

You can also save your gradient. WHen you are done, click on your shape with the gradient and then on the swatch palette click the “New” icon and it will be added for future use!

Yes, it works. Great! Now I can do what I wanted. (I bookmarked this site hehe). I am using RGB mode and pixels for measurement since I’m making web graphics (logos-forum buttons etc.)

You can also save your gradient. WHen you are done, click on your shape with the gradient and then on the swatch palette click the “New” icon and it will be added for future use!

Thanks thats a great tip. Will do.

you are welcome! Best of luck with your project and happy ‘illustrating’!