How to check if multiple values exists

Situation. I record invoice: amount, partner name, invoice date and invoice number.
Need to check if the invoice is not already recorded. So need to check if all the mentioned values are not already recorded (one value is not enough).
At the moment I have solution that at first I check if each of the values exists. Then next code if all the values exists, then warn about duplicate entry.
But there one problem, code check through all rows in certain table. So may be situation that all values are entered, but in multiple rows.

The question is: how to check if multiple values are not already entered in one row

$query1 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE tutorial_author='$tutorial_author'"); //tutorial_title without $ is name of record (column in MySql table)
if(mysql_num_rows($query1) != 0)
{
echo $tutorial_author ." already exists <br>";
//echo $query1 ." query1 <br>";
}
else
{
echo $tutorial_author ." does not exist <br>";

if((mysql_num_rows($query) != 0) or (mysql_num_rows($query1) != 0) or (mysql_num_rows($query2) != 0)) {

echo $submission_date ." or' .$tutorial_title .'or' .$tutorial_author .'already exists <br>";
}

could you illustrate this with an example, please

right now “multiple values in one row” doesn’t make sense to me

For example, in database are columns

Date | Amount | Company | Invoice number
first row
05/01/2013 | 100 | 1stCompany | 11
second row
04/01/2013 | 200 | 2ndCompany | 12
third row
03/01/2013 | 300 | 3rdCompany | 13

I check if values for Date Amount Company and Invoice number exists
With my script if I enter
Date: 05/01/2013
Amount: 200
Company: 3rdCompany
Invoice: 11

I get output that these values are already entered (as if duplicate invoice for the same transaction).
But I need warning only if I enter, for example,
or
or
03/01/2013 | 300 | 3rdCompany | 13

so all values already exist in any of the rows…

you totally lost me, sorry

Excuse me (my text seems not understandable; English not my native language; and I almost know nothing in MySQL; I try to learn it)

For example, two rows exist in a database
The first row with values: First value | Second value
The second row with values: Third value | Fourth value

In a html form (with 2 fields) visitor can type values to add to the database (table). If visitor types in the form values: First value and Second value, and try to add to the database I need to prevent it, because in the database there is already a row with values: First value | Second value.

But if visitor types First value and Fourth value I need to allow it to add to the database, because in the database there is no row with values First value | Fourth value. So as a result visitor adds to the database new row with values First value | Fourth value. And after that if a visitor types values First value and Fourth value then I need to prevent it, because there is a row with values First value | Fourth value

With above showed code I can only check if in whole table exists any of values

Sorry for waste of your time if does not understandable…
May be latter I will find solution myself:)

this is completely different from what you said earlier is in your table –

Date | Amount | Company | Invoice number
first row
second row
can you understand why i’m confused? there’s only one value on each row, not two

Some misunderstanding… may be because my English.

i’m pretty sure the misunderstanding is because of your hasty examples

As you already noted yourself, the check on each separate value makes no sense, because there will surely be more invoices on the same day, or more invoices for the same amount, or more invoices for the same company.

If you want any combination of the four values to exist only once in your table, then create a unique key on Date + Amount + Company + Invoice number.
But I don’t understand why you mention the invoice number. Isn’t that generated by the application? And shouldn’t it always be unique?

I am new to programming. Could you advice how to make the key (any link with information)?

Regarding invoice number I mean if I receive bill (invoice) from other company. In such case I must record it manually.

I see, so the invoice number is their invoice number, not yours. Ok, that’s part of the key :wink:

You can find all your answers in this thread: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?723588-INSERT-INGORE-without-unique-key

If something isn’t clear after you read that, don’t hesitate to ask.

OK, thanks:)