How to combine freelance photography and webdesign?

I’d like to pursue both freelance photography (personal portraits, weddings, etc.); however, I also want to pursue designing websites.

Is it a better idea to have 2 seperate websites for each business or would it be possible to have just one website?

I would have two sites and then your photography site can be linked from the web design site to add to your portfolio. It’s unlikely that there will be any crossover between the two sites so best to keep them separate. You can always add links to each site of course or add more details about other services you provide in an about page.

Hm, seems to me it’s worth having a business with a name, identity, website etc. through which you can then offer a range of services. But I guess there’s no right answer.

I’m with Paul O’B on this for what its worth. If you were to combine them, web design clients may think that you aren’t really into web design and photography clients vice-versa

Also agree for separate sites. Having both interests myself (and setting up a very similar business) I know that there is also the benefit of not then needing to separate them later if one aspect of your business takes off. You may also discover one provides more income or is just more appealing to work in long term.

I suggest you focus on one.

It’s either you…

a) Focus on photography and design (and constantly tweak) your own website for your business.
b) Focus on web designing and do photography as a side hobby.

There’s nothing wrong with going both. But, it won’t make you as effective as focusing on just one. However, if you decide to go with both, I think you need two separate sites for it.