How to compare two mysql tables in php

i have a movie table and i want to compare the common movies of two users.

$array1=array();
$array2=array();
$query2="select name from movie where user_id='1'";
$result2=mysql_query($query2) or die(mysql_error());
while($rss = mysql_fetch_assoc ($result2))
{
    $array1[]=$rss;
}
print_r($array1); 

This will print

Array ( [0] => Array ( [name] => Snatch ) [1] => Array ( [name] => The Social Network Movie )<br />[2] => Array ( [name] => Death Note ) [3] => Array ( [name] => Titanic ) <br />[4] => Array ( [name] => Once Upon a Time in the West ) ) 

And for second user

$query3="select name from movie where user_id=1";
$result3=  mysql_query($query3) or die(mysql_error());
while($rss1=  mysql_fetch_assoc($result3))
{
    $array2[]=$rss1;
}
print_r($array2);

This will print

Array ( [0] => Array ( [name] => The Lord of the Rings Trilogy ) [1] => Array ( [name] => Snatch ) <br />[2] => Array ( [name] => The Social Network Movie ) [3] => Array ( [name] => Scarface ) <br />[4] => Array ( [name] => Once Upon a Time in the West ) [5] => Array ( [name] => Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole ) [6] => Array ( [name] => Once Upon a Time in America ) <br />[7] => Array ( [name] => Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid ) [8] => Array ( [name] => Fracture ) <br />[9] => Array ( [name] => Invictus ) [10] => Array ( [name] => Pride and Glory ) [11] => Array ( [name] => Casablanca ) ) 

When i compare these two arrays it gives me the first array.

$match= array_intersect($array1, $array2);
print_r($match);

The result will is

Array ( [0] => Array ( [name] => Snatch ) [1] => Array ( [name] => The Social Network Movie )<br />[2] => Array ( [name] => Death Note ) [3] => Array ( [name] => Titanic ) <br />[4] => Array ( [name] => Once Upon a Time in the West ) ) 

But the Common movies are:

Snatch , The social network movie , once upon a time in the west

You would be better performing this filtering in MySQL. My SQL isn’t the best, but assuming each user can only add the same movie name once, this may do it:-

SELECT
    name
  , COUNT(name) AS occurrences
FROM
  movie
WHERE
  user_id IN (1, 2)
GROUP BY
  name HAVING(occurrences) > 1

HAVING(occurrences) > 1 should be HAVING occurrences > 1

the (unnecessary (proliferation) of (parentheses) is unnecessary)

:smiley:

Ha, thanks Rudy.

I seem to remember you chastising me for doing the same with DISTINCT a year or so ago. :slight_smile: