How to create a Simple Website with Wordpress?

Dear Friends

I am new to wordpress. I want to build a simple website with 4 links i.e Home . About . Products . Contact. All I know is that it can be done by adding pages from admin. But I want the website to be more like a normal website than a blog. I dont want the blog link with the website. Trying to build it more like a corporate website than a blog.

Any tutorial from basics…

Kindly help me…

Thanks in Advance.

Use a template(or custom build) that looks like a site. Checkout templatemonster.com etc.

There are lots of sites that are used to create wordpress theme. you can take help from paid sites also. This is the which is used to create the wordpress template according to you choice.
www.yvoschaap.com/wpthemegen/

Wordpress is mainly for blogs. If you are looking for making a regular updating blog, then you should go for wordpress. if you are looking for making a static website then you can choose online available HTML templates and get your site started.

May be you are using WordPress.com, that won’t give you much options to play around. Download the php files from WordPress.org

There are a lot of options here and you really can create very nice websites with Wordpress.
You can use a framework like Genesis or Thesis…for both you need to pay
You can download a theme from http://themeforest.net/ or from http://www.woothemes.com (which also offers some great free themes and also support for them which I really like and you can create wonderful websites).
Beside these options there much more examples of websites offering free themes so you just need to make a search on google.

If you are in the Wordpress admin. Go to Settings>Reading>Front Page>A Static Page. Set this to a page you have created as your home page. This will remove the blog from being the default page and allow you to use pages rather than posts.

I use Wordpress all the time to create websites that don’t use the blog function at all. There is no need to include a blog if you don’t need it.

From a basic install of Wordpress you can install a theme. If you are working on a corporate website I am assuming there is money to use or some sort of budget. If you are looking for a way to make it easy for yourself on a limited budget I would buy a premium template from somewhere like Themeforest. It only costs $50 max and will save you a lot of time because you gain a lot of extras and the author should have done all the troubleshooting for you. The other advantage is that they will update their themes (this is important for the future as Wordpress updates and other components do too). Look at their most popular themes as they will offer the best set of extras and are usually well supported.

I think that it is worth the investment in these themes, it represents good value and the amount of troubleshooting you can spend while you sort out good tools from the bad can easily stack up.

if you want to create another type of site, you must think Joomla or another CMS

I recently wrote a blog post about how to skin WordPress for use as a CMS with a really simple static site.
You can find it here: http://hibbard.eu/making-a-very-simple-wordpress-theme-for-a-static-site/

This isn’t any kind of definitive guide, rather was intended primarily as a reference for myself.
Hope this helps. Would be nice if you let me know if you find it useful.

WP has the option of setting a static front page instead of the blog feed. having a page blog feed is technically necessary but the page does not have to be used at all or included in the navigation. i use WP mainly as a CMS not a blogging engine, tho i have done both.
you dont need to buy a theme. you really dont even need to download a free one if oyu dont want. you can use the default twenty eleven or twenty ten themes and modify them as much or as little as you want. I prefer using twenty ten myself.
<snip/>

You will want to use Pages feature of Wordpress, as against Post feature that may not serve your purpose.

its so easy
buy a host
search for a free themes
upload wordpress script to your host and install it
upload a themes
make a changes on it as you like :slight_smile:

you can create site in word press every easy ,to go to word press.com address to lo gin ,after to click on page button to define your web site details…
u have to available more futures in word press site…

Various web sites are built using Wordpress. You can create a corporate website with the help of Wordpress. Wordpress has various options and features which will assist you in creating professional corporate websites without the use of blog features. You can upload Genesis or Thesis framework for the layout. As per your requirement Wordpress is a straightforward content management system which provides a cost effective solution to create a an attractive website. Please follow the below link which will assist you in creating a custom website. http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2010/11/09/how-to-build-a-website-using-wordpress-com/

I’ve used Joomla and WP, and I must say, WP is far easier to use. As for using WP as a static web site, well that’s easy too. Any free or paid template will do. First go to settings/Reading and select your static home page. Then it’s just a case of disabling Comments as you create each page - there’s a check box under ‘Discussions’ underneath your page content.

I tend to use a plugin called “Disable Comments”. With a few clicks you can disable all comments and remove the comments from the admin area. Saves needing to remember to do this on an entry-by-entry basis.

you can also try it first at wordpress.org

you get a wordpress install with a theme you can switch. great for trying somethings out …

Its easy, What you need:

A web hosting service that supports MySQL databases and PHP
Download the WordPress source code
A WordPress theme like this one: Fresh
Ideally, PHP and MySQL installed on your local machine for faster testing
If you have your own custom design/stylesheet, try to prepare the HTML in the following way
Have a big “wrapper” div that encloses the entire page
Have a “header” div that includes the main navigation
The main navigation should be structured in a way so that the menu items are <li> tags
Have separate “footer” div that contains the copyright notice, credits, etc
Keep all the page content (article and sidebar, if any) enclosed within one “page” div
If your “page” div contains a main section and a sidebar, make sure the sidebar markup comes after the page content.

i disagree. Wordpress is just as perfect for static, simple websites as it is for large dynamic websites. If you don’t want to use the blog features, don’t use them! Ignore the Posts/Categories and only create the Pages you want to use. Easy breezy.