6 Effective Ways to Lower Bounce Rate and keep Visitors Browsing

1. Choose Wisely What to Include in the Sidebar
  2. Be Careful with the Use of External Links
  3. Make Sure Your Blog’s Goal is Obvious
  4. Make Your Related Posts Stand Out
  5. Provide the Visitor with Resource Pages
  6. Feel Free to Brag About Your Accomplishments

<snip />

If you want to decrease bounce rate for your website then use good quality and unique content for your website

<snip />

There are a lot of reasons your bounce rate could be high. Without seeing the site it’s tough to make suggestions on specifically what to improve first & many people have given good suggestions on what might be the cause.

One thing I’d add is that it’s hard to be sure you’re improving the situation without a controlled experiment. The best way to do this is probably with an A/B test. For those who don’t know, an A/B test is where you provide two variations on the page; they’re shown to users randomly and the winning design is the one which has the best result for some particular metric.

In this case the metric to improve would be bounce rate. I did some checking and it seems the content experiments in Google Analytics (free) allow you to have bounce rate as your metric of choice…

… I’d recommend you try some of the suggestions people have posted above, but measure the results and keep applying the lessons learned.