How to design a single site for two target markets

I have a client that operates an electronics recycling/disposition company. Broadly speaking, they have two target markets and I would like to figure out how to structure the site so that I can target both with minimal confusion. I will explain the issue in more detail below.

The first market is small to medium sized businesses. The clients in this market typically have used electronics (computers, TVs, printers, phones, batteries, etc.) that they want to dispose of as cheaply as possible. My client serves these clients by picking up the electronics for free and breaking them down for parts. The main needs for this type of client are convenience (pick up is easy to arrange and does not require any involvement of their employees) and low cost. Essentially, they want to get rid of their electronics quickly and at minimal expense.

The second market is larger corporate clients. The clients in this market typically require secure data destruction, and asset management and disposition (wiping computers/phones, refurbishing them and re-selling them). The main needs for this type of client are ensuring that their data is safely destroyed (secure data destruction) and that their assets provide them with a small return when they are re-sold (asset management and disposition).

There might be some overlap between these markets (a small company who needs their hard drives securely destroyed) but for the most part, the service offerings are clearly delineated by target market.

My main concern is ensuring that clients that arrive from organic search understand what service is targeted towards them. For instance, I do not want a small business client to see data destruction services and think that is overkill for them. On the other hand, I do not want a large corporate client seeing that their electronics are being picked up for free and immediately start wondering what is going to happen to their secure data.

Any help in figuring out how to best structure both the home page and other pages of the site would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Why not have two seperate websites? I think you may end up tredding on each target markets toes otherwise, because they seem to value different aspects of your service.

Can you build the site into 2 main sections, but use different colour schemes for each to delineate between small/medium businesses and larger corporations? It would still be one site, all with the same branding and design, but it would be easy to tell what pages were meant for you based on the colour scheme (and site structure, obviously). Does that make any sense at all?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.