I have on success buying a domain from a larger company. It was not easy and took time to get it done.
I first did as much online research as I could, to see what pages, references and advertising existed that made reference to the domain. I compiles a report. I then research their media department and reviewed the LinkedIn, facebook, and twitter pages of the names of the media people I found. I did this to understand a little more about how they thought. I then contacted the media department and asked to be put in touch with the person that manages their domains. I presented the idea of buying the domain for them and emailed the report to them to show what I had found about it. I had pre-determined a figure of $500 and offered them $250 for them to transfer it to me. They came back and said for $350 they would transfer it (apperently it covered the cost of holding it for all those years). In this case it worked out.