How to get/use Zend Framework?

So many jobs these days are calling for Object Oriented PHP and I have been using PHP for almost 8 years but all procedural. I’ve used PEAR but not developing my own OOP skills. Also, been using eclipse IDE for PHP for 5 years

Several questions:

• How would one best learn OOP in PHP?

• Is Zend framework free for developers? Where do you get it? Is it worth it?

• What are the skills on top of PHP/MySQL that help you get jobs?

Thanks

First you must learn about OOP in general. If you get that, you can go on to any good PHP OO Framework. Zend framework is free and it is quite popular but I would suggest CodeIgniter Framework.

RonnanR - Thanks.

Where do you get the free Zend Framework?

When a job requires you to have experience on Zend framework, is that the server side zend or the IDE?

Why do you like CodeIgniter better?

When a job has Zend Framework as a requirement they mean server side Zend, not the IDE.

However, if you’ve never programmed in PHP OO, Zend Framework may be a bit too much too start with, because it’s extremely big and you need to set up a lot of stuff to even get started. (In my opinion Zend is too extensive for most any project, but that’s just my opinion).

As RonnanR said, you may want to start with basic PHP OO. Read some manuals, view some videos on YouTube (which there probably are) and then get your feet wet with a more basic (but still powerful) PHP OO framework like Yii, CodeIgniter, Symfony (preferrably 2) or Cake (also 2).

If you insist, you can get Zend Framework at http://framework.zend.com/

Thanks ScallioXTX