How To Go About Designing an actually GOOD looking Classifieds

Well, I’ve about had it. I have been searching for long enough for a good classifieds script that suits my needs, not gonna happen.

So I’ve taken it upon myself to go even deeper into PHP (have some experience) and code my first big project.

It’s going to be for hotontheblock.com , a classifieds site aimed directly at the street fashion community. Basically, like http://solerhythm.com/ , with a design similar to http://www.tutorialmagazine.com/tutorials/index/photoshop

I really like that Web 2.0 look, and want to incorporate it into my site

It is to be solely a classifieds site, nothing more. Of course, user registration, private messaging, and Paypal integration are necessities.

The thing is, how should I go about coding this? Drupal is out, as is Joomla.

So the next step is to find a suitable framework, but which one?

Why is Drupal out. That is probably your best bet if you have limited coding experience, want something quick and want a considerable amount of configuration at your fingertips.

Next framework would be one lower on the abstraction scale, like Zend, CodeIgnitor, Solar, CakepHP, the list goes on.

If you can`t do it Joomla or Drupal, its because your giving up to easy. The time you spend building from scratch in the above will take twice the time when compared to Drupal or Joomla.

Cheers,
Alex

Not a bad idea on it’s own. I personally struggled, but my business skills are sorely lacking, I suck at the art of negotiation. Most freelance projects I particpated in were miserable failures because time is money and I am not good at managing either in terms of a business.

Freelance is a good way to get started, because low budgets usually mean more experienced developers are not interested. Excellent way to get your foot in the door though.

I just personally found freelancing akin to working at a gas station. You are always over worked and under paid, start focusing on client communication now and making sure everything is clearly stated before accepting any contract work. Don’t cut yourselg short on time or money because managing your own little freelance/consultancy takes more effort than 9-5 and you will probably make far less.

Drupal will allow you to remain at least competitive, especially against those who don’t use it (which there are many).

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks man, but after looking through the Drupal site and discussions pertaining to classifieds sites, apparently nobody could get the job done for some reason? And I’ve messed around in Drupal, it’s really not my thing. I dunno, I guess I want something more challenging since I also want to do freelance coding in the future.

Is getting into freelance a bad idea?

And ok, I’ll check out Drupal some more. Thanks!

Thanks man, but after looking through the Drupal site and discussions pertaining to classifieds sites, apparently nobody could get the job done for some reason?

Hehe…probably because they gave up trying to do things the Drupal way. Those public forums are among the worst I have ever seen. Acquia paid forums are probably much better, but you pay for it.

You can pretty much do whatever you need to do via Drupal. I have seen talented Drupal geeks whip togather fairly sophisticated classifieds, forums, whatever in days using CCK/Views. Only minor modifications were typically required via module development.

And I’ve messed around in Drupal, it’s really not my thing. I dunno, I guess I want something more challenging since I also want to do freelance coding in the future.

Freelance will be the death of you. :stuck_out_tongue: But that is even more reason to learn Drupal, trust me :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Alex