How to land that first DJango Gig?

I’m a seasoned web developer with almost 10 years of PHP and ASP web development experience. I recently decided I wanted to get into something else, so I decided to start learning Python and DJango. I have learned a lot and have a personal website of my own design to show that I know what I’m doing. However I’m not having any luck landing a paying gig programming with it. Everybody wants at least 2 or 3 years of professional experience programming with it already. So of course I can’t GET the professional experience needed in the first place because nobody will hire me because I don’t already have it. Its a frustrating cycle that reminds me of when I first stated in this line of work. Plus it doesn’t help that people are either saying that I’m either overqualified or else that I’m too old-school.

Anyone have any suggestions for a seasoned web developer trying to land that first paying-gig with Python & Django?

You could start out by helping others in Django and Python forums, also it may help if you could jog your memory to find how you landed your first PHP and ASP projects.

Thanks. I know about the forums and help when I have time. But when I first got into PHP and ASP, the economy was stronger and I was younger. So maybe the real question is: how to get into something newer when you’re older and the jobs are fewer and farther-between.