How to point website using PUblic IP address

Hi,can i ask some help to all sitepoint,…I have installed wampserver2 in my computer,is it possible to call my website using public IP address in URL ?..or is this possible to type in the url like this. [noparse]http://<my public IP>:80/test_site[/noparse]…and then it will load now my test_site,…if this possible can you please help me what are the configuration needed in order achieve this…

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Yes you can do that using the public IP, or you can put it in a DNS somewhere if you access to it for a domain you own.

If your PC is behind a router in your network you need to set up port forwarding so that the incoming port 80 on the router is forwarded to port 80 on your pc. Read the manual of your router to see how.

Rather than giving out your IP, you could use a service like dyndns or no-ip. Giving you a nicer to access URL rather than your IP (and one that will update the IP via a tool either on your router or your PC)

Hi, I visit the no-ip and i also registered,and then install the sowftare called DUC.after that run the DUC program,i also updated the host and the 3 green checkmarked shows,now when i type in my url…mytestsite.no-ip.biz…its says that unable to connect…by the way mytestsite folder is in my localhost c:/www/mytestsite…can you help me please i am confuse.

Thank you.

Did you forward port 80 from your router to your PC?

Hi, Sad to say i don’t have access in the router…what should i do now.?

In that case there is nothing you can do I’m afraid. Port forwarding is required to make this work.

Thank you ScallioXTX,:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Hi, i would like to ask,how do i know that the port 80 is working or forwarded properly ? without looking to the router.

Thank you.

If it is you can access the web server on your pc from outside your network. :slight_smile:

Hi, thank you for the reply…what do you mean i can access my web server outside from my network?..i am confuse,can you please give some situation…By the way i have only 1 machine here or one desktop where i am working with.

I apologize i am just new in this kind of problem…

Thank you :slight_smile:

What I mean is access the website from another computer somewhere on the internet, which clearly isn’t working, otherwise this conversation would’ve been over :wink:

So, how is your PC connected to the internet? What server are you running? Are you running any firewall?

So, how is your PC connected to the internet? What server are you running? Are you running any firewall?

Hi, I am just using pocket wi-fi…wampserver in my localhost…I already made option in inbound in firewall allow port 80.

Hope this will help.

:slight_smile:

It could be that your provider is blocking port 80.
What happens if you use another port, like 9000?
You can change this in Apache in the Listen option.
Add :9000 to the domain when browsing to it.
And don’t forget to restart Apache for the changes to take effect.

Before i am going to change this from my apatche,Can i ask is port 9000 will work in paypal ?because i have something to do in paypal…as far as concern port 80 and 443 will be use in paypal.

I would assume PayPal doesn’t care which port you run your website on, but I’ve never tried, so I’m not 100% sure.
Will you be using this for a real website btw (as opposed to show some “under development” stuff)? If so, I would suggest you take some simple shared hosting instead.

Hi, Thank you for your patience and your effort,…First which line in apatche to put port 9000, …Shared hosting? just like 110mb,godaddy.com and host22.com?..I don’t have idea if this will successfully do paypal transactions…

Like I said before, in the Listen directive. You probably have something like Listen 80 or Listen <some ip>:80. Just change 80 to 9000

That’s what I mean, and yes that will work with paypal transactions. Lot’s of people do it this way.

Why do you want to host your website on your own computer anyway? Your upload is probably quite low so your website will be terrible slow that way. Using shared hosting it would be a lot faster.

Why do you want to host your website on your own computer anyway?

I am still developing my website,…and i just want to achieve to do the transaction for paypal…like the IPN and PDT.

:slight_smile:

Hi, can i ask again…about my problem i already configure port forwarding,in my c:\\wamp\www\
under this www folder have many subfolders also my website folder, do i need to remove those folder so that the only one will left is my folder website?so that when i dial in the browser like mysiteexample.no-ip.org this will open my page immediately or my index.php.

because i am confuse how can mysitexample.no.ip.org will open the correct folder of my website.

please correct me if i am wrong…