How to promote a newly launched directory site?

Yeah I second the words, the social media campaign is the best way to promote the website and there are numerous ways to do so, and it depends on you which you can do better.

To all posters:

Please keep replies to specifics regarding how to promote a web directory.

@websitelister has asked

[quote=“websitelister, post:1, topic:200648”]
Any suggestion how and where to begin?
[/quote]So from that, it seems they’re a beginner, and replies should be clear and well-explained.

[quote=“Guruofmayhar, post:4, topic:200648”]
there are numerous ways to do so, and it depends on you which you can do better.
[/quote]That really doesn’t tell a beginner anything. Much better to offer one simple, solid bit of advice that they can follow.

1 Like

In my opinion, First of all you have to manage the website
for example, composing, editing and designing it.
You have to give it a perfect look so that you can get traffic…
Now the next step is to promote the website so that you can reach the top.
You can use the social media for this purpose.
make videos, publish useful content etc.
You can create the images, portfolio or infographics as well.
All these things will help you to promote your website and getting more traffic out there.

1 Like

Take my own site as an example, after it launched , I mainly work on two projects First you need to do some on-page seo. Here are some great tools that will check your site and offer you some advice, like site audit in semrush and onpagegrader in MOZ. After completed online seo you can start some off-page seo like building links and put on some ads.

Thanks everyone for your responses. However, it would be great if you can refer me some specific useful tools like Directory Critic or any directory site specifically for listing sites like mine. I hope it’s possible that you can help me discover any method that is effective and doable by a single person. I don’t have enough funds to hire people to promote my site yet. My website is pretty simple but not too attractive though. I haven’t done so much yet because I’m not a web programmer, just an average tech-savvy guy. I created the website alone. My website: websitelister.org

Promote it through social media or create a blog instead. Create a fan page that talks about your website so that it will easier for the users to find it. Your blog post should be interesting enough and original. Since it is a new website expect that it wouldn’t be easy to build credibility, there are lots of well-known directory online, competition is really big. Good luck! BTW what’s the name of your website?

errm. from the post right before yours

I’d suggest running a PPC ad campaign. It will be a bit costly but you will be able to see instant results. If you will follow the SEO route, it will take you a lot of time. Simply run ads and tell businesses all the benefits of getting their website registered with you – that’s all.

Build up great content via a blog, you can use social media to promote the blog. Make sure that all info you provide in posts is useful to users, and it will start to promote itself. Build some healthy backlinks to other prominent sites in your space.

Reach out to your audience (businesses) by contacting them via email. You can try sending emails to businesses. Hire a VA at a freelancing site and start pulling data on businesses.

There is so many directories today that I wouldn’t necessary try find first customers through online marketing. You could visit your local businesses and make them presentation of your directory and why they should join. After you have signed up this way several local businesses it is going to be much easier to get others to join.

Thanks for the responses. I’m still studying how to implement your suggestions easier and more effectively.

Use most if the social media platforms to make your website popular. because with SEO you can get site on top. these kind of websites needs. Social Media attraction because people needs instant response…

Thanks

Perhaps you could explain in a little more detail how you would envisage this working for a directory site? What useful content would you suggest covering in posts? I find it hard to think of anything, so please share your ideas more fully.

[quote=“AlyLauren, post:11, topic:200648”]
Your blog post should be interesting enough and original.
[/quote]Again, some suggestions of areas to cover would be helpful.

[quote=“LisaGrocke, post:18, topic:200648”]
Reach out to your audience (businesses) by contacting them via email. You can try sending emails to businesses.
[/quote]Sending unsolicited e-mails is Spam and is illegal in some countries. It’s very unlikely to get you much business, as most Spam goes straight into Junk folders and is never read.

[quote=“rajivsinghi, post:21, topic:200648”]
Use most if the social media platforms to make your website popular. because with SEO you can get site on top. these kind of websites needs. Social Media attraction because people needs instant response…
[/quote]Just saying “use social media” isn’t very helpful. How should @websitelister use social media to promote a directory? Which social media would be best suited?

To all posters: The OP has specifically asked for advice relevant to a directory site. Please ensure your replies address the specific situation. General replies and replies lacking in detail may be deleted as fluff.

firstly,you have to make list of good directory,which have good pr and alexa rank .Then you can launch your website with
this directory list.

Welcome to the forums, @vishwakarma.

Are you really suggesting that the best way for @websitelister to promote his directory site and encourage people to sign up to it is for him to list it on other directory sites?

1 Like

As a directory, your main target audience are small / medium / large businesses. Your marketing needs to be very specific to them, perhaps you can try some of the following ideas:

• reach out to various associations for specific trades eg plumbers, painters, electricians etc and offer to advertise your directory listing service with them
  • create a Facebook campaign targetting users who have interests listed around small business. You may want to list out 30 or so industries of small businesses who are suitable to list in your directory and use those keywords in your Facebook campaign to attract them specifically
  • write excellent quality content on your website blog relating to topics that all your users would find useful to attract relevant people looking for this information.

There is a website in Australia HiPages which is a directory for specific trade businesses and they do this very well - I would direct you to study their articles to see how they specifically attract interest by industry on their topics, which ultimately result in directory listings on their site.

The best way for promotion is to try the social networking sites such as Facebook, twitter or LinkedIn and there are many other. You can have a large number of viewership at these sites.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.