How to protect my Wordpress Content?

Hi SitePoint members,

I am working on a wordpress website in a very competitive niche. The content is unique written by me. But now I am afraid RSS scrapers or other people are manually going to copy and paste it on their websites.

What can I do about this? What are my best options?

The things I did so far are:

Installing a copyright plugin, which will display a copyright notice under every post. It will contain my domain with a link to my main domain, so it looks like this at the bottom of a post: © 2011, www.mydomain.com, all rights reserved.
Is this good? Will this harm my site or is it safe to do? If RSS scrapers find my content, they probably copy this line too right? so giving me a ‘sort of’ backlink???

Another thing I did: In my posts I place internal links to other areas of the site; for example I link some words to tags, categories or other posts. Will this also help for preventing stealing content? And if they steal, are these links included??

What else can I do to protect my content from thiefs?? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for replies

I think that’s all you can do to prevent from stealing content. But you can also defense later. There’s great google tool - spam report. Google your text, find a thief and report it :slight_smile: Worked for me :slight_smile:

Report it to Google and to hosting company which host the website that stole your content. After people get warning from hosting company they usually remove stolen stuff like articles and photos.

That probably works yes, but do I want to check 200 + articles in google if someone copied? and what if they do it over 2 weeks, i have to check it all again? every few weeks? that will not work for me.

The things I already did, can anyone tell me that is the right way? Will it not harm my SEO by placing a link to my homepage on the bottom of every post??

What about a disabling right click plugin, will that do any harm???

Thanks in advance,

It’s very impossible to protect your content unless that you have to subscribe to a copyright services that monitor every pages of your article for duplicates that appears on the search engines.

I read there are some site content copy protection program that helps you secure your content to their database as the original one. Say, copyscape.com offer this kind of program although I don’t really know how it fully works. You have to pay some though to have it activated or installed in your website.

Hi, Most of the bloggers will enter into a trap like start submitting their blogs in RSS feed directories before Google start crawling and indexing their contents. So first you all need to keep posting for atleast 1 or two months then start submitting, otherwise copycats content will index in Google first.

To prevent copy & paste i added some css class to content. For example

Content display to user:

This is the content

HTML view:

This<span class=“cls01”></span>is<span class=“cls03”></span>the<span class=“cls04”></span>content

In style.css i added:

.cls01,.cls02,…{
display:none;
}

when people copy your content he/she can not copy your origin content.

Include many references, examples related to your website and business in the articles.

This way anybody taking your articles will have to spend some time changing these or advertise you.

Use Wordpress SEO by Yoast to add a copyright notice and backlink to your RSS feeds. Unsophisticated RSS scrapers won’t catch this, and spam sites will end up with content that blatantly proclaims it’s stolen.