How to remove SMF copyright... Help needed

Hi all
I am using a simple machine in my site… I need to remove the bottom Copyright link and use my own copyright… can anyone help me?

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=404.0

You can’t do that. It’s the whole point of copyright.

Agreed, just because you don’t like seeing it there doesn’t give you the right to remove it. Replacing their copyright with your own name is not only copyright theft (and a violation of their license), it’s also considered outright fraud. Your claiming ownership and the rights to something you have no legal right to do so. If the forum creator discovers your website and the change in the copyright message, they would have every legal right to sue you for a large amount of damages, and you could possibly get some jail time to go along with it. You aren’t the copyright owner, don’t forge the information, it’s a criminal offence. :slight_smile:

In addition to the addition above, if you do need to add your copyright to the footer, take a look below at how they did it here at Sitepoint. They left the forum authors in place and added their own below it.

I do not know anything about SMF and editing the templates but I took a second to look and I found this:

The footer can be found in the template_main_below() function in index.template.php for the theme you’re using
here.

Hope it helps. :slight_smile:

I’m not familiar with SMF, but do take a look at the index page code. I’m more than sure it’s not on there, but try anyhow.

Most likely, it will be in your styles. If you can add code to your style, it would be there.
On vBulletin, it’s in styles, and then the style. Then it will be on the left, it will say footer.

SMF may be similar but I am unsure.

Just looked at post above, he’s right. Both right, but he provided a link for ya. This came from my knowledge of using vBulletin and phpBB, so I’m sure SMF is th same, but different in some ways.

What he said. You can’t and you shouldn’t, respect their rules if you want to use their script. :slight_smile:

it’s illegal and should not be attempted

Thread closed