How to select a domain name

Be careful of EMD domains.
there are mutterings about how their bad in terms of ‘seo’

As with any domain, EMD is only going to be bad if your content is bad. If you have good content that relates to the subject of your domain and its assumed search (hence the EMD - Exact Match Domains, for anyone unaware - so if I search “Drinking Bottled Water” the EMD would be drinkingbottledwater.com) then it’s not going to be penalized. The search engines are just looking to penalize people who are squatting on EMDs to grab hits with unrelated or spam content, as far as I can tell.

1 Like

Hi,
Select the keywords that is relevant to your site and use it for your domain.
Please refer the below link.

This will help you.

2 Likes

Thanks to all for reply on my post.

The shorter the domain, the easier it will be for people to remember it and type it into a browser. For example “jojos.com” would be better than “jojosrestaurant.com”.

The catchier the domain, again the easier it is to remember.

Like registering a trademark, registering a domain name can help to protect your intellectual property, as it stops other companies from registering that domain in the future. So think of possible variations that you may want to register, and register all of them even if you only plan to use one. For example you might register “jojos.com”, “jojosbar.com” and “jojosrestaurant.com”, even if you only use “jojos.com” as your main website.

Consider which extensions to register. .com is important if you intend to trade internationally. It is important to register the regional domain such as .com.au (for australia) .de (for germany) .us (for USA) and so on… for each country/region in which you intend to trade. This helps to protect your intellectual property.

A .net extension is a second alternative if the .com is already registered, but .com tends to be more popular.

I’m writing domain appraisals from time to time and found that the following main aspects are defining the value of a domain name:

• Keep it short and simple. The domain must be easy to remember.
  • Associate it with your business (and/or company).
  • Use either a country TLD or .com (avoid “new-gen” TLDs unless there is a good reason).

While a generic domain can help you to drive traffic to your website, it’s not a univeral remedy for SEO. Content is the king, your domain will be the crown. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My opinion

1. The domain MUST be remembered easily.
  2. Don’t use dash
  3. The domain contain keyword of your business. For example, if you sell shoes, then the you can register domain like loveshoes.com or cheapshoes.com

Why not use a dash? This is the first time I see this recommendation and find it quite interesting, as I’ve worked with a few domains that had a dash.

If someone searched cheap shoes, it would find those words both in cheapshoes.com and cheap-shoes.com

In my experience, that depends largely on whether or not you’re likely to have to spell out the domain name - e.g. when giving an e-mail address to somebody. Several years ago, a local group registered a domain name and decided to hyphenate it for readability. That’s fine, but telling anyone the domain, or the associated e-mail, involves “here hyphen there hyphen social hyphen club dot co dot uk”- which is a real pain.

1 Like

Hi McCloud,

It is not good for using dash. You may read on google how to register good domain name. If you use dash, it will hard for people to remember it

There are so many service provider in market.

It all depends on you that what type of business theme you have so choose domain according to the situation from godaddy. They provide reliable service.

Thanks,

Post edited by cpradio to remove the Fake Signature

First of all you visit the domain purchasing website like Godaddy . after then search your business name and search all domain . I mean like com, co.in, .net,
if the domain name available then select them and click on purchase .

Hi,
You can select any domain name base on your type of business, or something related to your shop name, you can check with GoDaddy

Thanks

Try to choose your domain name which ends with .com, .co, .info but not .in, .en and all.
As many said, it must have your business name.
No dash,underscore or symbols

Why? Sorry, but your reply makes no sense to me.

If you are targeting business in India, then a .in domain would make perfect sense. It would, to me, make more sense than using a .co domain, which is the TLD extension for Columbia. (I know it is used more widely than that, but nevertheless, that’s what it is.) Of course, if you’re targeting a different country, then choose a domain accordingly, or a generic domain. But “don’t choose .in” as a sweeping statement needs some kind of explanation to make sense.

[quote=“GoSkyGo, post:18, topic:115011”]
not .in, .en and all.
[/quote]Please can you explain what you mean by this? There is no .en domain extension (AFAIK), so I can’t work out what you are referring to.

But in your previous post (under your previous account), you said

[quote=“GoSkyGo, post:18, topic:115011”]
Try to choose your domain name which ends with .com, .co, .info but not .in, .en and all.
[/quote]So in one post you’re encouraging the choice of .co and in the other suggesting it’s not a good idea.

Ah, thank you! That makes more sense now.

(I still disagree with you, but that’s OK - we’re allowed to have different opinions. )

2 Likes

Domain name should be related to your business name or brand name and it should be unique as well as easy to remember.

When choosing a domain name think carefully of what you want to be doing long term. A domain name should one that is easily remembered and can easily be searched for using various search engines. Ideally a domain name should reflect the “brand” which again makes it more recognizable. A well named (branded) domain will add value and be much more profitable if/when sold.

hey @Romon to select a best domain you should choose a domain including keywords. If you are going to book a domain fo tech related blog or site, then you can choose domain which includes tech or techno word. Also, try to short domain name and one which will easy to remember for users. Also don’t take numerical digits in your domain.
I would like to mention one more thing here that selecting domain with keyword is very beneficial because sometime when users search for queries in search engines then search engines highlight and bold the matching keywords, which are good symbols for seo too. :smile: