How to SEO a website with many photos?

How can I do good SEO for a website that there is not much content but photos? I’m running a website sharing gift ideas for girls and women. I focus on selling crystal jewelries. It doesn’t like newspaper sites where I can add more content through the news. Most of my content is new products photos. How can I make it rich content for Google and other SEs to consider? Please help teach me what should I do to make good SEO or to make my site popular. Thank a lot for your help!!

The first thing you should do is make use of the img alt attribute. Don’t go crazy though and start stuffing keywords in there. They should be descriptive of the image they are associated with. I would also do some type of captions. Checkout this article. Getting people to comment on the photo will also provide more textual content and when they comment encourage them to share via social media. Since these gift ideas are probably products I would also look at using microdata markup. Check out [URL=“http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146750&topic=1088474&ctx=topic”]Google’s Rich Snippets.

Googles’s Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide has a section on optimizing images that you might find helpful.

For SEO there must be some techniques like Give Alternate Text to all the Images which helps Google to identify the Image.
And If you are not getting enough Success Through the SEO then try Social Media Optimization for the Promotion. Try Some Different Social Media Sites and Publish your images with the Proper caption or Content. There are some Image/Photo Sharing Website which helps you to promote your Images in proper category, hope that helps.

[FONT=Verdana]Please note: dante18 is not asking for advice on how to promote an image or images, but how to promote a site which consists mainly of images, with little text.

Please address the actual question, or your reply will be deleted as fluff.[/FONT]

Textual content if not on your site, could possibly be given as guests blog posts on other popular sites on your niche and then linked back to your site with images. You could also create a slide show of your images with descriptive text, give it a good keyword rich title and share it on SlideShare. Make a Youtube video out of the images and provide a call-to-action to get the audience to your site. Although these are not image specific linking strategies, your objective of SEO For your site with no content but only images does tend to be fulfilled, I hope.

Try Some Different Social Media Sites and Publish your images with the Proper caption or Content. There are some Image/Photo Sharing Website which helps you to promote your Images in proper category…Good luck

Dante18,

The suggestions from other members on the basics of optimizing actual images are good but those will only get you so far. Because your site doesn’t have a lot of text content on it, you will have to focus your efforts more on off-site SEO. I would focus on building backlinks and being active on social media. These are some of the most powerful things you can do for a site besides the onsite optimization. You can also do other things related to SEO for on-site that aren’t related to text such as making sure the site is fast, making sure it has relevant titles and meta descriptions on its pages, and things like that.

Here is a pretty good technical audit checklist and you could sift through it and do the things that do not involve text (such as the content section).

Hope that helps,

Shawn