How to set real time streaming for video like IntercastNetwork

Hi all,

I would like to figure out the idea behind IntercastNetwork dot com’s engine. How do they set time for each video to play even outside of their website.

Is the feature achievable with PHP?

Thanks in advance and really appreciate for any suggestion
Ket

Achievable in PHP? Ha no.
Take your pick, Flash or Silverlight?

I personally pick Silverlight, the server software is easily available without extra licensing fees. Just need a Windows Server. Flash would require a specialized server which you may have to pay for, not easily available.

I’d agree it’s easier for a developer to just use windows server (for flash realtime video you could use the open source red5) but more viewers will be able to view the stream using flash than if you rely on silverlight.

You will only really run into the problem with those whose choose against installing Silverlight like one would do with Flash. Netflix doesn’t seem to have had any issue with there on-demand streaming which uses Silverlight.

Yes, there’s no technical issue with silverlight, purely that it has a lower penetration than flash (75 versus 95). It’s enough that the likes of NBC, MLB, ITV etc have abandoned silverlight and went back to flash. With Microsoft abandoning silverlight as well, it’s likely to decline in market share further.

If you say so, but I never heard Microsoft saying anything about abandoning Silverlight. Only that its direction is less web and more media and business applications.