How to set up MySQL local server from scratch

While I am familiar with conventional databases (in particular FileMaker Pro for 20 years or more) I haven’t got a clue how to set up the MySQL server on my Mac. I’ve downloaded and installed MySQL 5.5.9 for oxs 10.6 and MySQL_Startupitem. I’ve downloaded the MySQL Workbench. I didn’t get any errors installing any of them. However, when I try to get it working via the Workbench, I get setup errors and I have NO idea what they mean. For starters, I find it really frustrating that I can’t keep the Workbench Help Doc open while doing the setup. The Help Doc opens in a 2nd tab in the Workbench viewer and nothing I try can get it out of there, so I can switch back and forth.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, I’ve got the values correct for a New Server Instance (localhost, Standard TCP/IP, Port 3306, username root) according to the help file. However, when I hit Continue I get errors:

“Could not connect to MySQL server:
Lost connection to MySQL server at ‘reading initial communication packet’, system error: 61
You may continue if the server is simply not running.”

I hit continue (as it says I can) and it came up with another error: “File /etc/my.cnf doesn’t exist”

What on earth could that mean? I tried searching the Workbench manual but it came up with nothing. The Read Me file which came with the MySQL download seems to be for an old version and the paths it gives for where files are stored don’t seem to be viable on my system. I searched the file for “my.cnf” and there is no reference to it at all.

Unfortunately my brain is TOTALLY literal and without perfect step-by-step instructions, I’m hooped. Can someone please point me to where I can find “instructions for dummies” for getting the MySQL server to work locally? I have the sitepoint book Simply SQL by Rudy Limeback and that’s where I got the info about installing the MySQL server software but the docs for the software are just totally confusing me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It might not be what you need but you could install MAMP, although a Mac already has apache etc this is an all in one option, easy to set-up and configure

Even for a literal brain like mine? I don’t mind installing something else but if it doesn’t have perfect documentation I won’t be any further ahead.

I think I just need to know how to boot up the MySQL server before trying to set up a connection but I can’t find the installed file! The Read Me file says:

The Mac OS X PKG of MySQL installs itself into
/usr/local/mysql-VERSION' and also installs a symbolic link, /usr/local/mysql’, that points to the new location.

but I can’t find either file, even when I tell the search to include system files. I’ve tried searching on usr; I’ve tried searching on just mysql; I’ve tried searching on mysql-5 (for the start of the version #) - nothing! Or rather, dozens of files but none which are the app itself.

Well there is the PHP course Kevin does on sitepoint (or maybe learnable.com now) that shows how to set up MAMP, it’s explained in the Database driven website using PHP book also by Kevin and I think there is an article on this site explaining it too http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/php-amp-mysql-1-installation
It seemed straight forward enough on the video :slight_smile:

http://maestric.com/doc/mac/apache_php_mysql_snow_leopard

(if you have snow leopard)

helen, once you get up and running, and can start in on the book, i welcome any questions about sql that you might have

you will have noticed the paucity of step-by-step instructions in the book regarding installation and connection – the very little that is there was at the editor’s insistence, i wanted to avoid talking about it altogether

i personally hate software installs and have the scars to justify it

so i know how you’re feeling

cheers from ontario

Thanks Rudy! From the little I’ve read so far I don’t think I’ll have much problem with the SQL part (famous last words! <G>) because it’s pretty clear and well annotated. It was the stuff done by other people I was having problems with. Now that I’ve discovered MAMP and installed it, I’m good to go. The book is, I believe, 2 years old, so that would explain the discrepancies in the other people’s references, I would think - SO much changes on the internet that 2 years is like forever.

Thanks for a great book!