How to stay "secure"? VPN, Proxy or Tor?

My apologies if I have not taken the time to do a search. Just very limited on time right now and am VERY TIRED of being the victim to all these hackers and nosy people who want to keep tabs on you on these open networks.

I have recently been the victim of an attack at a ‘shady’ criminal element type coffee shop. Very new to internet security but have been looking into ways to stay safe and also ways to surf without people watching me.

In my research I have come down to these 3 ways to stay anonymous and safe on public networks: VPN, Proxy and Tor. What is my best option? I heard Tor was good but it doesn’t protect you on the client side server. I was than referred to “Identity Cloaker”. It is a pay service (which is fine if it is all it says it is) and claims better security than Tor and faster internet speeds.

Than I hear about a VPN and how it is essential in network security against intruders and anonymous surfing. All this has just made me more confused.

Here is the bottom line: I want to surf the internet anonymously without a trace and also not allow these hackers and criminals ease of access to my computer since most of my web browsing is done in coffee shops etc AND I want it to be at a decent speed. Not a 28 baud modem speed.

I would prefer NOT to pay but if paying will give me what I want safely and easily I do not mind at all paying for the peace of mind. So what do the pros reccomend? Thanks in advance!

If you tunnel all your web traffic through an encrypted tunnel, nobody snooping on you in the coffee shop can see what webpages you’re using or what data you send to them.

To do so you’ll need access to a server or VPS somewhere. You will use it as a proxy – all your website traffic on your own computer will be encrypted and forwarded to the server, the server will do the actual communication with the websites you’re trying to use, and it will forward back the responses through that encrypted proxy to your computer. PuTTY (an SSH client) sits between your browser and the server to create the proxy over the SSH connection.

I think this has to be repeated till people get the message : TOR is for anonymity, not security. In fact, it may prove to be a huge security risk if misused : http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/09/anonymity_and_t_1.html

Dan Egerstad is a Swedish security researcher; he ran five Tor nodes. Last month, he posted a list of 100 e-mail credentials – server IP addresses, e-mail accounts and the corresponding passwords – for embassies and government ministries around the globe, all obtained by sniffing exit traffic for usernames and passwords of e-mail servers.

Great info. Thanks for the heads up on Tor. All this gets confusing at times.