How to stop unwanted traffic

On my .NET website I noticed dozens of 404 page not found pointing to various locations looking for index.php. Obviously it some sort of crawling going on (I have got a lot of traffic from China and this is not my market). What should I do ? Leave as it is or should setup sort of 301 redirect ?

the scripts are looking for common exploits and unprotected upload locations. I’ve written my script to dump the IP to a blacklist for 24 hours just so I don’t waste the server resources on them. They are often botnets so you’ll get 100 requests from like 50 IPs. I wouldn’t any resources on friendly directors for them.

1 Like

I find the requests for “file uploads” most alarming. Looks like hacking attempts to be sure.

Even if you don’t stop them from hitting your server with requests I think you should definitely do something to stop them from gaining access to the site,

If your market truly does not include China etc. I think the easiest and best thing to do would be to add the IPs to the htaccess file.

And I wouldn’t waste time with each individual IP, I’d do the whole sub net of them.

Downside, there may be legitimate visitors that would be blocked, eg. someone on vacation, but that would likely be rare.

True, that alone won’t stop them all and you will still need to block others but it should help a lot.

In my experience blocking anonymous proxies was the most efficient method.

Thanks, I added an .htaccess on this website to block traffic from China, let’s see how it goes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.