How to tell who's hosting a website?

I’m working with a client who just left another designer. We are having problems getting access to control the website. We managed to get FTP access. However, i need to create and edit databases. Usually the host provides some sort of admin panel like cPanel, Plesk, web host manager, etc. The other designer says there is no control panel if you need something installed on the server let me know. The site uses WordPress; so i know there is a database. The site is registered through GoDaddy and the IP address points to secureserver.net. My feeling is that the previous designer is afraid to give access to the backend. Perhaps he is concerned he will totally lose the account and is trying to maintain some sort of control over it. Maybe the account is tied to other accounts and giving me access to one will give me access to all. Whatever the reason, i know there is a database and i need access to it. What i’d like to do is figure out what server software he’s using or where it hosted (my guess is GoDaddy). knowing this i can say to the client, the site is hosted at blah blah blah and this is all he has to do to give me the access i need to move forward. Any ideas?

You can try this site: Who is hosting this

If the other designer is being a pian I hope your cliant has the domain name in their control.

Thanks. It points to GoDaddy. However, if they are using a GoDaddy’s Privacy Service; would it not point to GoDaddy anyway?

Doing a search for secureserver.net it looks like it is tied in with godaddy.

ah yes… thanks again, Rubble!

Whois.sc did not release full registrant info. Therefore, i thought they had privacy registration on it. But searching GoDaddy’s who is provided their full company and server information. Thanks again. This will help in showing that an admin panel of some sort exists.

Get the website’s IP address and look for the “root” IP address for that block. That should lead you to the host.

Regards,

DK

If its wordpress site, ask previous designer to create a new user with some access and give access to you so that you can modify website and he can keep control.

How will I know about the technology used for website with hosting provider name?

I usually just do a whois and then if not much info there do a tracert to the website. Can also try doing a ssh or rdp to the server and see if it shows the computer name :slight_smile: